Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member

Default Re: How to disable reverse PTO kill switch?

On my 3235 it was a simple matter to just bend the switch actuating lever out of the way so that the pedal didn't contact it. I probably would have worn out the PTO and my patience after one season of mowing my yard with the switch enabled.

BoB

Bob, you are somewhat correct.

Did you mean Magnuson Moss Warranty Act???

Heres some more info: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage. In addition, it affects both the rights of consumers and the obligations of warrantors under written warranties.)</font>

But if you alter the unit you VOID the factory warranty. The ACT does not protect you against the manufacturer in this situation. Go read it again or have it read to you.

SO, if you alter the unit by disabling a safety device and you injure yourself or someone else you become responsible. Not the manufacturer.

Common sense...

Thats like taking the seat belts out of your car and getting into an accident and trying to hold the car manufacturer responsible because you got injured.

Want to keep your warranty? Leave the switches alone. If the dealer sees that you been playing around with the switches your warranty will be voided no matter what your situation is.

Im not trying to be rude, im trying to get it across that you should just leave the unit alone and use it.

Buy a newer model if you want mow n reverse!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Zennoh 2210 / Cub Cadet 3240

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Go read it again or have it read to you. )</font>

Are you trying to imply that Bob can't read it himself. Come on Cub Tech, maybe you weren't trying to be rude (as you said) but it sure comes across that way to me. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong (sorry if that's the case), but that's just how it looks to me.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Buy a newer model if you want mow n reverse!)</font>

No, I'm not buying a new mower with some new "technology" that allows me to mow in reverse when I can just disable the switch on the one I currently own. If I somehow figure out a way to kill myself mowing in reverse, I promise my wife will not sue CC.

Give me a break, my Cub would drive me nuts if I couldn't back up without killing the PTO. I'd be resetting it about 50 times every time I cut the grass. No thanks!

Cub Tech, I do agree with you about the manufacturer not being responsible if the unit is altered. Yes, it is common sense. If I disable the switch, then somehow hurt myself or somebody else mowing in reverse, I'm not going to blame CC. It's my own fault. That's what's wrong with this country, everybody wants to blame somebody else for their mistakes.

Bypassing the reverse switch(es) should be fairly easy. First disconnect the switch and use a multimeter set to read resistance (ohms) and measure the resistance across the two terminals of the switch with the switch in it's normal position. If the resistance is very low (less then 10 ohms) then it's a normally closed switch. If that's the case, you would just need to make a jumper that would connect the two wires together (leaving the wires disconnected from the switch).
    If the resistance is high (more then say 500 ohms), this means the switch is normally open. In that case you could just disconnect the wires and leave them disconnected. Ultimately, you want to simulate the same condition that the switch is in when you are moving forward. I'm guessing that the switches would probably be normally closed and when you move the controls into reverse position, it breaks the circuit and disengages the PTO. Best thing to do is check the switches with the multimeter set to read resistance.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Zennoh 2210 / Cub Cadet 3240

On my 3240, it is normally open. Simply unplugging the switch worked fine. No meter required [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20HST

Cubtech.. your still only partially correct.

Messing with switches relieves the dealer from any liability from owner injury (I argue that there should be none to begin with, but that is off topic).

Messing with switches does NOT relieve dealer from warranty issues. The dealer must prove that the owner tampering with safety switches caused the problem that created warranty claim. Just because tampering is evident is not legal justification to refuse warranty service.

i.e. if the PTO shut off is bypassed, and the engine is puking oil through the breather, (the two are clearly not related) and the dealer refuses warranty service, then he is doing something dishonest and plain illegal. It is just up to the owner to be informed enough to report it and not take the dealers refusal at face value.

Platinum Member

&gt;&gt;Bob, you are somewhat correct.

Did you mean Magnuson Moss Warranty Act???&lt;&lt;

Cub Tech, you're right on the name. They say in old age that the memory is the second thing to go - I can't remember what the first is.
    I agree if you disable the switch and back over a kid and chop him up with the running blades, you are at fault and the dealer/manufacturer can't be held responsible. However, if my engine blows up the Magnuson Moss act prevents the dealer from denying my warranty because I tampered with a safety switch. I would have to disengae/engage the PTO at least 50 times to mow my 1 acre once. Do you really think I am going to trade in my 2004 with 57 hours on it for a new one so I don't have to disable the switch? Incidentally the dealer offered to show me how to disable the switch but I found it on my own with the help of this forum. Also I have a hard time visuallizing the difference between backing over the kid with my 2004 and the switch disabled, or backing over the same kid with a 2005 set to REVERSE MOWING mode.
    Apparently the manufacturer decided the safety switch wasn't such a great idea also since they provided a legal way to bypass it on the new mowers.

Bob B.

If you alter/tamper with the unit at all you will void the factory warranty.

Plain and simple.

If you altered/tampered with the electrical you could possibly cause engine damage. Thats not warranty.

Platinum Member

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you alter/tamper with the unit at all you will void the factory warranty.

Plain and simple.

If you altered/tampered with the electrical you could possibly cause engine damage. Thats not warranty. )</font>

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion but if I install flashing warning lights on the tractor fenders (which I did on my 1450) and the engine throws a rod I don't think the court will side with the manufacturer in voiding my warranty. Wasn't that a major part of the Magnuson Moss Act?
    (My last post on this topic)

Bob B.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 44

Guys, we are mixing up seperate issues here. The only thing the Magnuson Moss Act does is protect the consumer from having to use OEM parts and accessories to keep their warranty intact. This act allows us to use aftermarket oil, filters, bearings, electrical componants, etc... as long as they meet the specs required for the unit. The safety interlocks were put into place mainly for the manufacturers to protect themselves from lawsuits, secondly to protect the consumer. If you disconnect one, you better hook it back up before you take it to a dealer for any work, warranty or not. The dealer cannot let a machine go out the door without an originally installed safety feature, as this could somehow be traced back to them. Magnuson-Moss has nothing to due with bypassing a safety device.
    G/luck
    Joel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast