How to disable reverse PTO kill switch?

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #1  

JayC

Veteran Member
Ok, since the warranty went up a while back I am fed up with that confounded kill switch. I need to be able to mow in reverse. The mower in question is a 2001 2166. Where exactly is the switch located? I have a hunch, but am not sure. How would I disable it? If I take the mower deck off, I can see on the left side of the machine a mechanism that seems to be connected to the reverse pedal. If I depress the reverse pedal the mechanism pushes upward on a type of switch. Is that the kill switch? What's a quick and easy way to disable it?

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #2  
It sounds like you found the switch. I'd just move the switch so that the pedal does not hit it.

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #3  
great question, I am sick of that feature already and am dying to find the answer myself.

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #4  
It's been a while, and my memory is not what it used to be, but I think all I had to do on my 3240 was unplug the switch and it worked fine, which indicates to me the switch on mine at least, was normally open. Give it a try, you can always plug it back in if it doesn't work. I didn't even make it through cutting the grass one time before I disabled mine. Also disabled the switch in the seat that seemed to kill the engine every time I hit a bump!

That said, these "safety" switches are there to protect you and those around you. All standard disclaimers apply. I highly advise you leave them all in place and never ever tamper with any factory installed safety features! And never drink out of a garden hose, and never ride in the back of a pickup truck and never ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It sounds like you found the switch. I'd just move the switch so that the pedal does not hit it. )</font>

That's what I did with my MTD yard machines. The switch was mounted such that I could unbolt it, flip it around & reattach. That was a simple setup however, where the gearshift would 'hit' the switch when moved to "R". The 2166 is probably not as simplistic.
G/luck
Joel

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #6  
Just so you know that once you do this you become responsible for ANYTHING that happens.

Meaning if a fire happens, you roll it, anything breaks down on it you will be responsible. You become fully liable for anything that happens.

FOr example.. you mow a slope or something and you fall off the unit and the unit runs you over and the deck blades mess you up. YOu may think this will NEVER happens. But it does to the best unfortunately.

Since you altered the unit you become liable and you release the manufacturer from liability.

So you will be on your own... It's happend.. You may think it will never happen to you.. and god i hope it don't!!!!!

If you want to mow in reverse trade your unit in for the new model that has Mow n Reverse Technology installed.

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #7  
Back when the world was a better place, owner liability was implied at purchase time. It didn't matter if the device had exposed spinning blades 1/4 inch from your nose. If the user is stupid enough to use it, then he pays the bill. Lawyers bite.

"Mow in Reverse" technology existed ever since the first guy put reverse on anything that was able to mow. Branding it as a marketing gimmick is due to a marriage of bloodsucking lawyers and evil marketing people.

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #8  
Well said!

What really get's under my skin is dealers also claiming this will void the warranty. Let's see, the engine will seize up just because a kill switch no longer gets engaged??!! Sure, I can play nice and replace the "safety features" if a warranty issue ever comes up, but what ever happened to common sense.

At the risk of getting way off track, I remember a situation at work where OSHA didn't like the exposed area of a machine that could slowly remove skin....they were happy once the guard was in place such that it would hold your arm in place like a "finger trap" while it continously removed flesh instead.

I'm all for reasonable safety, but common sense should be the safety feature #1 on the yard or in the court room.

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Back when the world was a better place, owner liability was implied at purchase time.... )</font>

Amen to that! The thought of someone suing the LT/GT manufacturer for rolling their machine on an incline & hurting THEMSELVES sickens me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I know it happens.

G/luck
Joel

/ How to disable reverse PTO kill switch? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just so you know that once you do this you become responsible for ANYTHING that happens.

Meaning if a fire happens, you roll it, anything breaks down on it you will be responsible. You become fully liable for anything that happens.

FOr example.. you mow a slope or something and you fall off the unit and the unit runs you over and the deck blades mess you up. YOu may think this will NEVER happens. But it does to the best unfortunately.

Since you altered the unit you become liable and you release the manufacturer from liability.

So you will be on your own... It's happend.. You may think it will never happen to you.. and god i hope it don't!!!!!

If you want to mow in reverse trade your unit in for the new model that has Mow n Reverse Technology installed. )</font>

Sorry to disagree with you but the Moss-Ferguson Act was written to protect consumers from just such tactics by manufacturers. Your printer warranty isn't voided because you used another company's ink cartridge, your GM car warranty isn't void because you used a MoPar oil filter etc. The manufacturer has to PROVE that the failure was caused by the consumer using the non-oem filter etc.

Bob B.