clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #1  

rayJandreau

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2135
My cadet ( with shaft drive ) acts as thought the clutch is slipping and on slight upgrades just stops moving forward.
I find if I hit the (forward drive foot pedal quickly once or
twice - the problem will go away for awhile, but eventually
returns. I find no info in manual on adjustment except for the
rod that adjusts the forward / reverse action on the foot pedal.
Please advise ! Thanks

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #2  
I this machine a Hydro unit or a standard shift?

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #4  
There should be some kind of adjustment on the clutch pedal.

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #5  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2135 is a HYDRO unit, not a standard.

Have you checked the oil level in the hydro unit? If low, it will slip...

Good luck,
Bucky

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2135 is a HYDRO unit, not a standard.... )</font>

Geez, I dunno for sure /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Some of the models had the hydro (looking) foot pedals, but had a fender mounted shift control & a funky gear drive. You picked a speed with the fender lever & mashed the pedal to go. Some pics I found of a 2135 (eBay) have what looks like a fender shift. If it is the shift model, they do have clutches (4) that will wear, especially if you ride the foot pedal. You are supposed to regulate speed with the shift lever on these models to minimize clutch wear.
G/luck
Joel

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135
I have the standard shift so it's the 2130. Yes I have checked
and maintained the trans. fluid. The foor pedal acts like the clutch pedal in a standard shift car, you shift with the lever on the fender and control the amount of grab with the foot pedal.

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #8  
This sounds like a system that should be either engaged or not engaged. Adjusting the amount of grab with clutch discs is a sure way to wearing them out. The speed should be adjusted by using a slower or faster gear. Is the slippage in the clutch the same in reverse?

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #9  
I have the 2160 (same machine, different motor), the "autogear" system. If it ends with "0" (2160) its a manual if it ends with a "5" (2165), it's the hydro. I looked closely at these things before buying one. I was worried about these trannies too! The transmission has an automatic clutch and 6 gears to choose from. Problem with these is that the pedal has to be FULLY DEPRESSED when driving to prevent premature wear of the clutches. The pedal is NOT an accelerator, it just engages the tranny.

After talking to my dealer he had a lot of horror stories of guys trying to mow in sixth gear and feathering the pedal which destroys the clutches. These transmissions are actually a lot more solid than the hydro and were designed for ground attachments...THEY ARE ABSOLUTE TANKS and rarely fail when properly used (when's the last time you rebuilt the tranny in your ATV? My 1980 Honda 110 and 1985 big red are still going strong /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

I looked at the parts diagram and inquired about these things before buying. I was informed that they SHOULD last the life of the vehicle if used properly...IF NOT, no big deal, there are 4 (If I remember right) friction clutch discs in the rear end and they are only a few bucks each. Rebuilding is the problem, my dealer said it costs about 300 bucks (canadian) to rebuild the rear end...most of that is labour.

Adjusting the linkage would offer minimal improvement, the only reason it was designed the way it is is to prevent "jerkiness" when the tranny is engaged. I think they are usually factory set. Can't hurt to try though.

Bottom line, your clutches are probably burnt out and need to be replaced. Give your dealer a call, he may be cheaper than mine.

Good Luck

Taiser

/ clutch slipping - Cub Cadet 2135 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ..... The foor pedal acts like the clutch pedal in a standard shift car, you shift with the lever on the fender and control the amount of grab with the foot pedal. )</font>

Isn't it the exact opposite of a standard shift car? You press the pedal to go, and release it to stop? Shifting can be done anytime the pedal is released? Taiser was the guy I was thinking of. I thought he had one of these setups. Just out of curiosity, does this transaxle have a spin-on oil filter like the hydro?
Thanks!
Joel