cub 2160

/ cub 2160 #1  

paula58960

The PTO on my cub won't engage. When I pull out the knob, the engine will stall. I can move the pulley by hand so I know it's not frozen. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks for your help.
Paul

/ cub 2160 #2  
A few years back, my 2185 would do the same thing if it was not fully warmed up. I found an extra 5 minutes or so of warm up before I engaged the mower deck would solve the problem. Hope this helps--Regards, Mike

/ cub 2160 #3  
Did you recently have the belt off or deck off? I take my deck off all the time to clean, sometimes I'll miss one of the front pulleys. Course, you probably would have shredded the belt if that happened.

Make sure you have grease in those Timken bearings on the deck. I don't know if you have the Vanguard in your Cub, but I do in mine. Mine hasn't stalled yet, but almost did yesterday. Pulled the pto and it coughed/sputtered so bad I pushed the pto back in so it wouldn't stall. Let it run full throttle to warm up a good 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, let us know, it could be a problem with the clutch on the pto... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ cub 2160
I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with the battery. The battery is not charging so I starting to thing the pto is dependent on the battery for power. I can turn the mower deck by hand which turns the pto pulley freely. Maybe a new battery would solve the problem. I'll let you all know if I have any luck.

/ cub 2160 #5  
I was under the assumption that the PTO was vacuum operated? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ cub 2160 #6  
Same tractor as me, PTO is electric and takes a wack of voltage to fire it...if battery is low it won't work properly. Charge your battery with a battery charger (even if it won't hold a charge, this is just to test) then fire it up and engage the PTO if it works you know it's the battery or the charging system!

This is an awesome machine...I'm pushing 700 hours trouble free on mine. The 16 horse vanguard is as tough as they come!

/ cub 2160 #7  
Paula, will the PTO engage and disengage normally with the belt removed? Just trying to eliminate a deck problem /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I know it takes a ton of engine power to get the blades & entire system spinning, once they are up to speed it's not bad. A shorted coil in your PTO *might* cause a major power loss upon engagement, but you usually dont get any blade movement if the coil/PTO are bad. The only other thing I could think of is a safety interlock switch issue killing the engine upon PTO engagement (brake, seat, reverse...). You'd have to attack those one at a time, jumper them out or force them on/off.
G/luck
Joel

/ cub 2160 #8  
Vacuum operated on the 3000 series, 2000 uses an electrical pto to engage the clutch...

/ cub 2160
Thank you to all of you that responded to my question. I hope to have some time this weekend to work on the issue. Grass is getting verrrry tall. Thanks again to you all!
Paul

/ cub 2160
Threw in another battery this weekend and she ran like a charm. Obiviously the pto is dependent on a good battery. Thanks again to you all