New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!!

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #1  

scobb

Will soon have 2.5 acres of pretty flat land without many obstacles Looking to buy new Cub Cadet (feel they're a better deal than a Deere). Was confused about differences between different series - 1000, 2000, 3000. Did some research. I had settled on a 2554 but then decided to look harder at a 3100. Having a tough time justifying jump in series. Can anyone shed some light on differences - why 3000 series is "better" (ie - worth the additional $$$) than 2000? Is a larger deck better or does cut quality suffer? Any help would be appreciated

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #2  
I have the 2523-54 which is last years model of the 2554 and I am very happy with it. the cut Is great, very professional looking and it gets rid of those grass clippings good too. If the majority of time you are going to use this to mow then the 2500 series would do you years of reliable service. don't get me wrong the 3000 series are really nice tractors but if you don't need the hydraulic hook ups or power steering then go with the 2554 thats just my two cents /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!!
I was concerned about the funky belt configuration - the horizontal engine and the belt running down around two pulleys to the deck. I really like the shaft drive on the 3000 series - both between the engine and transmission and engine to deck. Then again, you pay more $$$ for the shaft drive. You have (or hear of) any problems with that long belt?

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #4  
No I have not had any problems with it at all, and this is my 3rd Cub. ( my yard keeps getting bigger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I have had a 2135, 2166 and now my 2523 and all have had the same belt running from the motor to the deck. I put 315 hrs on the 2135 and 389 on the 2166 and now have 71 on my 2523 and the belts on all models still looked new. what ever your decision you will get a good tractor with the 2500 or 3000 series. hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #5  
It comes down to benefits versus costs....I also dont think the price spread is all that large between the 2500 and 3000 series (3100 todays model). Lots of advantages and added features for the money. There is enough feedback on these models in this Cub forum to give you your answer....so hearing my bias is not needed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ducati

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #6  
2554 = $3999
3100 = $4699 + the cost of the shaft driven mower deck. I'm guessing at $800-1000 for that?!?

The 3K series are larger, heavier, have power steering and aux hydraulics. This machine might offer more comfort & convenience for you with your 2.5 acres. Cut quality on the 44" and up is excellent. The 3K series are 'better' in that they offer more & can do more than the 2500's in regards to attachments. It's all up to you if that extra $2K is worth it to ya /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif! If that's all you are going to do is cut grass, the 2554 and 3100 will do it equally well for many years.
You cant go wrong either way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
G/luck
Joel

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!!
Thanks very much for the input. I'm getting 6k as a gift toward the purchase of new tractor. Want to get a quality machine that will last. Like the shaft drives, power steering and hydraulics of the 3100 series. Difficulty is getting wife to understand advantages. Argument I'm getting is "It's more tractor than what we need" and "there isn't that much of a difference between the two". Wish Cub would do a better job of differentiating between their series in their marketing materials.

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #8  
You can locate a 3100 with deck (50") for way under $5000...
Did you sit on the 3100 series yet? you already know about the spec's, you need to be up close to close the deal...

So if you are getting a gift, whats the problem then ? Looks like a 3200 is in order....

Tell her power steering, room to move her legs, and comfort are worth its weight in gold. I hate mowing and I do just under 2.5 acres of grass, twice a week......If I rode something uncomfortable for that long, tell your wife she would be the direct recipient and cause of your grumpyness /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Long story short, you never let a woman tell you what equipment you need to get the job done. Its like you telling them how to shop for clothes or other useless nit nacks...
Unless she is qualified in lawn care, tell her to sit down and be quite. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif unless she gave you the gift - DOH!!

Good luck either way

Ducati

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks very much for the input. I'm getting 6k as a gift toward the purchase of new tractor....)</font>

Cha-CHING!! nice gift! That will get you a 3K series no prob.

G/luck
Joel

/ New Cub Cadet Purchase - Help!!! #10  
I have a 682 that's suppose to be manual lift but I convince my wife if she ever had to mow with it she would want the hyd lift for convenience. She agreed and I converted it to hyd lift. If the money was a gift, I'd get the 3000 series. Good luck in convincing her!!