Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #61  
DUMBDOG said:
Not to change the subject, but where in the 2544 owners manual does it state how often the oil is to be changed?

Changed the filter tonight, but not the oil. Topped it off from the one quart of oil that I purchased.
There is no mention of changing the transmission fluid in the manul for my 255:) 4.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #62  
Cub Tech -- Haven't you ever heard of "Shoot The Messenger" then no one will know the truth?

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #63  
Gator6x4 said:
Cub Tech -- Haven't you ever heard of "Shoot The Messenger" then no one will know the truth?

Cub Tech wasn't speaking much for truth in this thread. It's mostly his opinion that Cub can void your warranty for using anything other than their fluid. An opinion that's not supported by the wording in the manual...

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #64  
Bob_Bainbridge said:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hope you don't mind a newbie jumping in here. I saw this thread and like with many this is a subject of interest.

I'm also put off buy Cub's price on this fliud and would like to have a choice. Time for the first filter change last month and I had to pay $13 for a qt of this stuff. There can't be that much magic in this stuff to warrant that kind of price.

I see where Lazy said only need to change fliud every 400 hrs. Well, not according to my manual. After initial change, filter every 50 hrs and fluid every hundred.

Tractors 2 yrs old now so when it's time for another change, I'll be looking into an alternate as I'm not about the pay $13/qt to do a complete change. )</font

Bob B.
My 2554 manual doesn't say to change the fluid.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #65  
Oddly, the service manual for my 1864 also doesn't identify draining the Hydro, but the plug is there nonetheless. In the picture where it shows the plug, it says "1863 Only".

Also, my 1864 apparently has CV joints at the ends of the shaft, which require a special lubrication at certain intervals. But none of this is documented in the service manual.

-Larry

LBrown59 said:
My 2554 manual doesn't say to change the fluid.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #66  
If your looking for a replacement to the over-priced CC lub, good luck. Short of getting into a Federal MSDS database, you'll never know what the properties are or who the real manufactuer of the oil is. When I do find it, I'll post it, but also I plan on using Amsoil. The stuff is the best on the market --hands down-- . If you can't find a dealer, just go to web site and become one yourself. I run the stuff in everything I owne. Also, their filters far exceed anything on the shelves. Bob, are you same guy in the tile boards?

Jeff I have a CC 5234D

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #67  
I thought I would add another question to the mix. After a recent purchase from eBay, I am now the proud owner of the 759-3933 NEUTRAL RETURN KIT and the 759-3934 UPGRADE SERIES 3000 KIT. In the neutral return kit, the first step after installing the new plates is to change the fluid and add a sticker to the back that says to use drive fluid plus only. You will lose absolutely no fluid when installing this kit. Why do you need to change the fluid? Did the early 3000's have a different fluid in them? Both manuals have 12/98 print date on them.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #68  
I'm not sure if this is of any help to anyone or not. I found it on the last page of Cubs FAQ's. You really have to dig to find it.

Shell Rimula SAE 15W-40 Oil

Question
Multi-purpose Shell Rimula® SAE 15W-40 oil is formulated for both transmission and engine applications.

Shell Rimula® SAE 15W-40 oil is available from most Authorized Cub Cadet Service Centers and from our Buy Genuine Cub Cadet factory parts online store.

Shell Rimula® SAE 15W-40 oil is available from Cub Cadet in one quart (1 qt.) bottles, and may be ordered as Cub Cadet service part number 02002058.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #69  
I am not the expert as many of you. I just spent $49.50 for a gallon of CC transmission oil, so this topic has an interest. The following is from a "Cub Cadet M48 Tank Service Manual" . I don't know if this applies to all CC hydraulic machines. If this is true, I checked at the local Autozone, the price per quart is around $3.00.

(pageNOTE: It is very important that the hydraulic oil
does not become contaminated. Clean the surrounding
area thoroughly prior to opening any
part of the hydraulic system.
NOTE: The hydraulic drive system contains
roughly 3.25 gal. of SAE 20W50 motor oil having
an API rating of SJ-CD or better. Hydraulic
Drive System Fluid Plus (P/N: 737-3121 gal.)
is an acceptable premium alternative.
NOTE: Complete draining and filling instructions
are contained in the 徹perator痴 and Service
Manual?

3.4. Tracking is effected by the circumference of the 1 Section 3.3)

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #70  
It sounds from the description that your Cub TANK system is driving hydraulic motors - similar to Case/Ingersoll tractor hydraulic drives that also recommend and use 20-50w engine oil in the drive system, in which case that would be correct. I also think that this issue is very different for owners of hydrostatic equipped machines. Hydraulic drive systems have very different characteristics than a hydrostatic drive and I think it would be a big mistake to follow the recommendations of one for the other.

I know this has all be well hashed over in the past. I also know that hydrostatic drives can be very sensitive to both the type of fluid and the type of filters as well. On my hydrostatic drive Cub 6284 I have chosen to use Mystik JT-5 fluid with an SUDT rating because of availability and good price. From everything I have been able to research that is an acceptable substitute for the Cub fluid.

Since there was a factory issued service bulletin recommending installing a hydrostatic filter adapter and using a different Cub Cadet filter I am sticking to using exactly what Cub recommends with Cadet brand filters. I figure the factory would not have issued that bulletin without good reason and knowing that these are critical to proper hydrostatic operation I'm not going to cheap out on buying different filters at the cost of potentially expensive hydrostatic repairs later.

Due to the wide variety of hydrostatic equipped machines that Cub has produced over the years I don't think that it is possible to generalize on the fluid specs and filters across the Cub line. People need to be focused on their particular model of equipment when making decisions about what to use.

JN