Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #81  
So, I see it has been at least 5 years since this thread was started and I would like to know what the original posters ended up using in their CC? I recently bought a used 2005 GT2521 and was flabbergasted at the price of a gallon of the CC oil.

So fess up, what did you use and how is it working for you...

Fess up? I'm at ~5yrs and counting with Shell Rotella-T 15w40 in the trans of my 2005 model year 2544.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #82  
I see Joel has been using Rotella 15w40 in place of CC Fluid Plus. Has anyone been using Mobile 1 in place of CC Fluid Plus in a tractor that specifies CC Fluid Plus only. If you have please let us know. Fluid Plus is $54 a gallon with tax here. My 5234DE with Hydrostatic drive takes 5 gallons.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #83  
I have been using mobil 1 15w50 with no issues. I do preheat the tranny
with a small heater in very cold weather.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #84  
I'm adding a logsplitter to the mix today and am going to try Schaeffers Simplex. My dealer said anything other than CC fluid is a bad idea. I had the Schaeffers guy look up application for hydros in the book and the Simplex ( which is synthetic) is recommended for EVERY hydrostatic drive out there. So how come it won't work in my Cub? 8/

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #85  
What is the price of Simplex oil?

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #86  
Fess up? I'm at ~5yrs and counting with Shell Rotella-T 15w40 in the trans of my 2005 model year 2544.
Joel

I changed the OEM fluid in my '05 2544 this spring at 165 hours. I'd changed the filter twice before and topped it off with the OEM fluid. This year I decided to dump it all and refill. It didn't look BAD, but didn't look good, either - kinda grayish, but still transparent, felt fine and smelled fine.

Filled it up with 15W-40 Rotella and a new NAPA/WIX filter and spent today carting around 12 yards of mulch and it operated just like always.

Chris

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #87  
I just looked up Schaeffer Simplex, it is a Synthetic Blend. Didn't see a Full Synthetic on their list. I'm staying with a Full Synthetic. I think any brand would do. Mobile 1 is 1/3 the price of CC Plus.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #88  
Just got a 2010 sc2450 and needed to top off the hydrostatic drive. My dealer used Hy-Tran ultra and said it was the same stuff that CC sells by the quart at much higher $. He said if I brought the 2450 back to his dealership for service, that Hy-Tran was what would be used when hydrostatic drive fluid was changed. Hope this helps.

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #89  
I don't doubt Hy-Tran Ultra will work, but we don't know what the specs of this oil are. Regular HyTran is a typical hydraulic oil in the 20wt range (like most every hydraulic oil or ATF is). Cub Drive System Fluid Plus is more like a 40wt per specs. As much as I'll experiment, I wouldn't use HyTran in place of Drive System Fluid Plus. Maybe HT Ultra is more viscous.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Oil #90  
The original question of this post was a search for a suitable replacement for expensive CC hydrostatic oil. My point is that a CC dealer is using HY-Tran Ultra, claiming it to be identical to CC hydrostatic oil plus. He is the one I will deal with if a failure happens during warranty. If he has no fear of CC testing using Hy-Tran Ultra, neither do I. Hy-Tran Ultra does appear to pour in a 30-40 weight manner.:thumbsup: