cub cadet drive belt and spring

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #1  

citygal

I have a 2004 cub cadet LT1050 50 in deck 26 hp mower that by 26 hours had thrown the deck belt and spring 3 times...I paid someone (again) to put a brand new factory authorized belt on; up to 46 hours now and it has thrown it 2 more times. Happens at start up as soon as I pull open the PTO. Anyone else having this problem? Plus the company supposedly had one year in home service free and when you call the number in the paperwork you get a recording that asks for your area code and mine comes back with "there is not a dealer within 100 miles". can't get anywhere else with that recording. So I called Lowes where it was purchased and they gave me a name of a repair shop that said I would have to bring it in . So much for in home service. I don't have a trailer so that means more money. If this keeps up I could end up paying as much as it's worth in repairs. not to mention the frustration of not being able to cut my grass these times. Sure wish i knew what was causing this.

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #2  
First of all this is a prime example of why not to purchase at "big box stores"...not trying to give you any grief over it, this is just a good example and its unfortunate I have to use you as an example.

Now, when you engage the deck is it a full height or is it set to a lower cutting height?

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #3  
Debris, grass clumps, sticks, twigs, etc... can get caught up around the belt any pulleys, causing a belt to jump off. A beat-up belt, bent, or out of alignment pulley can cause this as well. Which belt is is? the one that goes from the PTO to the deck, or the belt on the deck that drives the blades? Either one is super easy to R/R. Some deck belts can even be replaced w/out removing the deck. Mowing thick grass, over rough terrain too fast can be very hard on belts, so watch those things as well.
G/luck
Joel

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #4  
I forgot to mension- the last time I mowed with my 2544, my PTO belt popped off one if the idlers (under the muffler) just as I engaged the PTO /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I know I put a gash in the belt back when I did the 5hr oil change (didn't have it on right at the time & it jambed. Luckily it takes only about a minute & no tools to R/R the pto belt. Still pretty desturbing for a machine with 14hrs on it /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.
G/luck
Joel

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #5  
My 2004 LT1045 has the same problem. The deck belt comes off BEFORE I start to mow. I've tried engaging the PTO when at half throttle (no luck), different deck heights when engaging (no luck). I looked at a new LT1045 and see that MTD has reconfigured the idler pulley set up (they added a second one). Problem is I can't get any info on whether I can retrofit the new arrangment to my deck. Any clues?

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #6  
Maybe you could call MTD for technical support in case they have a retrofit fix if this is a common problem. I don't know about your particular machine, but a low hour machine shouldn't be throwing belts.

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #7  
Maybe adding a belt guide would help. All you would need is a long 3/8" bolt and drill deck next to pulley where belt exits. Use two nuts on bolt; one under deck and one on top to jam it tight and leave remaining bolt up next to belt to keep it from coming off pulley.

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #8  
I found that the problem was the spring on the idler pulley popping out of its socket due to excessive vibrations. I used a flat screwdriver to pry a space between a couple of the spring loops near end that attaches to the deck, slide a couple of zip ties in. I then put the belt back on and under tension zip tied it moderately firmly in place. I had to redo it only once last season as it popped the zip ties, but the belt hasn't come off except for that once.

So, it seems the belt only pops off, at least in my case, after the spring unseats. Keeping the spring in place solved my problem.

I also think that the problem ultimately stems from the PTO pulley, because I have the same problem on my snowblower, with lots of vibration on the belt attached to the PTO but very little on the second belt that attaches the blower to the pulley mounting bracket. The PTO pulley may be poorly balanced, or perhaps have a flywheel that's too small causing it to move in rapid jerks rather than a smooth continuous motion.

/ cub cadet drive belt and spring #9  
My 2544 started throwing the belt. The idler pulley had a worn bushing causing the belt to throw upon engagement.