LT-1018 white smoke on hills

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #1  

lilgoober

I just got a new LT-1018 (2 hrs). After it is warmed up and I have the pto engaged, it will blow a large cloud of white smoke out the muffler on hills (uphill, downhill, side hill) and lose power. I shut it off and restart and it will stop. This has happened 10 times and I am afraid to use it again. I have noticed the in-line fuel filter is empty or nearly empty when this happens. Even when it idles on level ground, it is only 1/8 - 1/4 full. After it is off and cools, I see the fuel level go to nearly 3/4 full. Is this a fuel delivery problem??

Any help would be great!!!

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #2  
Sounds like a fuel problem. I would take it back to your dealer and ask them to fix it.

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #3  
i take it your engine is an overhead valve engine. i have seen this many times since i used to repair small engines professionally. used to do all walmart warranties. you may have a head gasket blown or you have a faulty crankcase breather.

briggs and stratton has a problem with headgaskets on their ohv engines.

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills
I was at the Cub dealer yesterday and they think it is the oil is too full. Once it gets warmed up, the oil level goes up. When I hit the hill, that is when it is a problem. They suggested changing oil and putting in just a little bit less than it has now.

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #5  
I can't comment on the suggested problems except the fuel filter. I just purchased a 2180. Since this was a clearance item at Lowes and in stock for about a year, the fuel had gummed up the entire fuel sysrtem. The fuel filter was always nearly empty. After the repairs, the same fuel filter symptoms appeared. The dealer said this is normal. Apparently, this is the case because the engine runs fine.

Thanks Maxtor and HHV for your replies.

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #7  
Your dealer is probably right. I had the same thing happen last year. Check the oil level on the dipstick and make sure it isn't overfilled. If too full it blows oil through the crankcase breather and into the intake.

/ LT-1018 white smoke on hills #8  
I'm with the oil group on this one!TO much OIL! fill it about a 16th of a inchbelow the filler mark and you will be fine!what kind of engine do you have?

I have the 18.5 Briggs. The ELS series. I am going to change the oil tonight and give it a shot.