Cub 5000 MMM eating belts

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #1  

Cub5k

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub 5252
My 5252 has a MMM that is breaking the drive belt on the mower deck. It looks like the belt is twisting on the center drive pulley and eventually breaks. Had it into the dealer at the end of season last year for the problem. They shimmed the drive pulley and replaced the belt but apparently didn't solve the problem. I don't see any obvious cause for the belt to twist. Any ideas? Belts are $30 a shot /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #2  
It's probably a pulley alignment issue if this same thing keeps happening. Are you cutting very low? Often times the PTO and deck drive pulleys are so out of plane with one another in this position that you will throw belts.
G/luck
Joel

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #3  
Cutting to low wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Did you hit anything?

Sounds like either pulley wasn't installed right, or spindle assembly isn't perpindicular to the deck.

Deck might be bent in that area.

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Cutting to low wouldn't have anything to do with it... )</font>
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It sure will. If you have a PTO and deck pully off-plane/not parallel, cutting low only exaggerates the problem by moving the pullies further apart. I've seen this happen on LT's and GT's atleast.
G/luck
Joel

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #5  
It will on the cheap line of tractors with belt drive to the deck, but you didn't read his post.
He has a 5252 with shaft drive to the deck.

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It will on the cheap line of tractors with belt drive to the deck, but you didn't read his post.
He has a 5252 with shaft drive to the deck. )</font>

Just tryin' to help. I'm sure glad this doesn't happen on my "cheap line" tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G/luck
Joel

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #7  
Does the belt ever come off the pulleys? I've seen this on many of the 5000 and 7000 series tractors. The dealer should have an update for pulleys on the deck by now from Cub Cadet. I've repaired many of the decks for this. The belt vibrates in the long distances between pulleys too much and ends up falling off or flipping in the pulleys, which causes the belt to heat up and break.

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts #8  
Hi Bill,
I have a 5252 that was new this spring. I've had no problems with the deck. If I can take some measurements, pictures or anything else to help you out, let me know.

The earlier post about vibration in the long section sounds like a good bet?

Curt

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts
Yes the belt does usually come off first. I put the belt back on and shortly thereafter it comes off again or breaks. I left the shields off the pulleys so I could watch what was happening. I did see a lot of flexing of the belt, but even stranger was that the belt would not stay in the drive pulley correctly. It would come around the right hand spindle and then try to twist as it enters the drive pulley. Maybe the belt go messed up when it first came off. I suspect this is a design problem that hasn't been resolved yet. The flexing probably affects the belt more after it gets a couple months of use on it and it stretches/wears a little.

/ Cub 5000 MMM eating belts
Hey cyberkrazze, how did you fix the decks that you saw. Are you saying that there is a "fix" available from Cub. I'd like to know before I call my dealer.