1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #1  

jpmorgan12

My new 1046 is running great, but not cutting as nice as I expected. I commonly get streaks or stips of uncut or uneven grass.

I tried following the owners manual steps for balancing the blades. It helped a little, but I still have the same problem.

I've read elsewhere that the steps in the owners manual for deck balancing may not be the same as the what is actually required.

1. Will the CC experts out there (or 1046 owners) provide me with some direction. I feel silly calling the dealer for something that I can fix.

2. Is it uncommon for them to come from the factory (or TSC) with the blades and deck not balanced?

Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #2  
I have a 1046 too, but have not had a problem with it not cutting a full path. Only time it misses one or two stalks of grass is when it is really high. And that is rare.

1.How high is the grass when you see this problem?

2. How fast are you mowing?

When you figureout what is causing it let us know. I will be glad to know in case it starts happening with mine.

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #3  
I also have a similar problem with a CC2042. I have changed from the 3in1 blades to the high lift blades and it did not help. Unmowed strips get even worse when I turn. If anyone knows of a solution I would appreciate info.

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #4  
i think you are mowing to fast .is the grass high

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #5  
jpmorgan,

I don't have a CC, but have seen it with my mower. Mine was caused because of not overlapping the passes enough.

We sold our hunting property and I aquired the 46" Murray mower. Have used it twice and have noticed it on several passes when trying to go back and forth. I was trying to mow were the edge of the "cutting side" of the deck was just past the uncut grass; that is when it would leave the strip. If I overlapped several more inches; it did not. Can't say that that is your problem, but just my 2 cents.

Fig

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #6  
Got this off Cub Cadet web site:
It is likely that one, or a combination, of the following five scenarios is resulting in the uncut strips.
1) The wrong size blades have been installed.
2) The blades are installed upside down. *Please make certain that you have the correct blades and they are installed properly.
3) The blade tips are worn. To correct this, replace the blades.
4) Overlapping may be insufficient. The tires push down grass during each pass. If you line up your tires with tire marks from the previous pass, the grass does not get a chance to stand back up during either pass. Overlap more than the width of your tires on subsequent passes. This will allow the blades to draw up the trampled grass from each previous pass and should produce a nicer looking cut.
5) Making sharp right hand turns. Twin-blade mower decks are designed with the discharge on the right side and two side-by-side blades. The side-by-side twin blade decks have the left hand blade positioned slightly forward and in front of the right blade. This provides cutting overlap when traveling in a straight line. As a result, the tractor should mainly operated making primarily left hand turns when cutting. During left turns this cutting overlap is maintained. If turning right when, it is possible to negate this overlap and leave an uncut strip.
6) Improper cutting deck adjustment may produce a vacuum imbalance that, under certain circumstances, could cause the air flow to push outwards from front of the cutting deck. Most of our deck designs are of "free floating" design. Free floating decks should not have the anti-scalp wheels touching the ground when the tractor is positioned on level surface. Free floating decks should be adjusted so that the front deck lip is approximately 1/4"-3/8" lower than the rear lip of the cutting deck. This relationship and adjustment should be maintained throughout the cutting height adjustment range. If the nose of the deck is higher than the rear of the deck improper air flow underneath the deck may result. Improper vacuum underneath the deck can negate the necessary "lift" needed to stand the grass blades erect for even cutting. If the lawn has bare spots, or lacks a healthy lush character, this too can cause vacuum leaks, especially pronounced in the higher cutting settings where the grass blades are further spaced at the tips and vacuum leaks may become more pronounced. Please consult the tractor Operators Manual for specific Deck Leveling and Deck Engagement adjustments pertaining to a specific model tractor.

/ 1046 --> Leaving Uncut Strips of Grass #7  
I would bet that your deck needs to be pitched lower in the front.The cub cadet 2180 has a lot for the money! but the cutting deck has always been the weak link on this tractor.I think it is do the blade tip speed alot lower than john deere or other grass cutting tractors,play with the pitch of the mower deck or take it to the dealer!