Reverse pedal disengaged or broken

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #1  

jimhenry

I have a 2004 Cub Cadet 2518. Reverse pedal became disengaged. It is in down position and freely moves up and down but doesn't do anything. Therefore can't get mower in reverse. Is this something that I can fix?

thanks

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #2  
That all depends on your mechanical abilities. Sounds like the pedal / linkage has somehow dis-engaged, and needs to be hooked back up. OR the linkage has broken and needs to be replaced. On my 2165 HDS I can put my foot under the forward pedal and pull it upwards and get the reverse to work as the pedals are linked together. If you push down on the reverse pedal, the forward pedal raises up, and vice/versa: if you push down on the reverse pedal, the forward pedal raises up.

Try pulling up on your forward pedal to see if reverse works at all, if so check the linkages and brackets that come from the reverse pedal itself. Just a matter of following the pedal under the tractor and seeing if anything is hanging loose.

Best of luck.

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken
You were right Buck. Following your advice I was able to back out of garage and get a closer look. Cotter pin was broken at the linkage. Replaced it and it should work OK. Simple solution...simple repair.

Thanks!
Jim

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #4  
That's always a good feeling to see that it's just a 25 cent cotter pin or clip. There is not really that much that can go wrong with the pedal assemblies, the problem is when you find it all hooked up and it still won't go forward or backwards. Then you are in for some fun with the hydro.

Glad it was a simple fix.

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #5  
I think I'd want to know why it broke...

Is it possible you had the brake set, and tried to reverse out of your shed? I think the brake locks out the pedals somehow.

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #6  
You definately want to get under there from time to time and check all the ground speed/direction hardware. I know on my 2544, I found a loose nut/bolt that holds the whole pedal/control rod cradle to the frame. There is 4 bolts, 2 per side for that, so most likely nothing would have happened if that one bolt fell out, but it was hanging on by a thread when I found it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
G/luck
Joel

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #7  
A good look underneath a couple times every season is essential. When I looked underneath my 782 this spring I found that one of the motor mount bolts was loose. Not too bad except the other three were missing all together. (My excuse is that my son did all the mowing last summer.)

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #8  
There is a two piece rod connnecting the reverse pedal to the brake pedal. This rod is connected together with 1/4 inch bolts. It possible these bolts became loose and the rod halves are just passing by each other. Check to see if these bolts are present and tight.

/ Reverse pedal disengaged or broken #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A good look underneath a couple times every season is essential. When I looked underneath my 782 this spring I found that one of the motor mount bolts was loose. Not too bad except the other three were missing all together. (My excuse is that my son did all the mowing last summer.) )</font>

One day I was checking my old 1450 over to figure out why I seemed to be losing belt tension on the belt from the engine to the deck. I discovered there were NO bolts holding the engine in place - just its own weight. The mounting rails had worn the sides of the aluminum oil pan so that the engine had dropped down to the frame instead of sitting on the rails and rubber mounts. You could grab the cylinder head and rock the whole engine back and forth. I had to hoist the engine and replace the pan.

Bob B.