Why not a 'big box' store?

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #1  

spiderdood

Why not a \'big box\' store?

I've been in the market lately for my first riding mower purchase. I'm going with the CC1046. I've seen several times in these forums not to buy from 'big box' stores. Could someone please tell me why?

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #2  
Re: Why not a \'big box\' store?

Buying a 1000 series CC from 'big-box' is absolutely fine. That is the intention of this product line. The only thing that gets complicated with such a purchase, is if you should need warranty work. Warrany work will have to be done by a cub cadet dealer. Dealers tend to handle units sold by them first when they are back-logged, everybody else is second. Any CC dealer will be more than happy to sell you services and/or supplies no matter who/what/where/when you purchased your machine! No worries.

G/luck
Joel

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #3  

<font color="blue">( I've seen several times in these forums not to buy from 'big box' stores. ) </font>

That's because the 'big box' stores are carrying the cheapest, poorest quality models of those manufacturers.

/ Why not a 'big box' store?

That's because the 'big box' stores are carrying the cheapest, poorest quality models of those manufacturers.

So a 1046 at Tractor Supply is not the same as the 1046 at the CC dealer?

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #5  

<font color="blue">( So a 1046 at Tractor Supply is not the same as the 1046 at the CC dealer? )</font>

They are the same.

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #6  

I really cant comment on Cub Cadet. However, I do know that the home improvement stores cary a lesser priced(quality too) version than the dealers and they put different designations on them so as not ket the customer think they are the same(competition reasons). However the customer looking for a cheap, cut rate name brand who would likely never go to the dealer because of price, will jump at the chance to have that name brand over a cheapie. Kind of cornering the market by stacking the deck.

You'll need to do some checking into wether the CC is the same, I would bet that if it is considerably cheaper, its not.

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #7  

The Cub Cadet models you see at the big box stores are identical to the products at the CC dealer store. It is wrong to suggest that the big box stores only carry "the cheapest, lowest quality products". They may carry different levels of JD or other products, but that is not the case with CC's.

It is also not accurate to suggest that the series 1000 Cubs are cheap, or of lesser quality. In my book, two grand for something to mow my yard with (LT1050) isn't a cheap product. You can spend a whole lot more, but it probably won't get your grass cut any bit better.

/ Why not a 'big box' store?

The price at the CC dealer is exactly the same as TSC. For $200 more at TSC I get a pretty good 4 yr. extended warranty that has pickup and delivery if I ever have a problem, and they take it to the CC dealer for repairs. That sounded like a good deal to me! On the flip side, Im sure people have their reasons for going to CC dealers only and I wanted to hear them before I bought it.

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #9  

If anybody at TSC told you that they would come and pick up your unit and take it to a authorized CC dealer than they are blowing smoke up your "you know what!" The dealers have to pick the units up with their trucks/equipment. And in my opinion extended warranties are a waste of money...if something is going to go wrong on a unit that is the manufacturers problem it will go wrong usually within the first year.

Listen folks this isn't hard to understand...would you EVER consider buying a brand new car from a dealership that couldn't perform warranty work on the machine? Even if the answer to that is yes would you still do it when the dealer that DOES perform warranty work is located in the same town, has the same price on the EXACT same machine, and knows more about what they are selling/doing than the dealer that doesn't offer warranty work?!?!

I just don't see how you can argue against that. The ONLY way I would ever encourage anybody to buy from TSC or Lowes if they just don't have a local dealer close by, and by close I mean over 50 miles!

/ Why not a 'big box' store? #10  

Buying my LT1050 from a CC dealer versus one of the big box stores was a no brainer for me.

The price was the same. The dealer knew all of the models to the smallest detail, and was willing to throw in a couple perks, plus giving me a fair trade in on a 9 year old Yard Machines mower which made the cash out of pocket deal even better.

At the big box store, I spoke with two different salesmen on two different visits. Neither one of them really knew much at all about the machines, although one did try to act like an expert. One of the deck wheels was missing on one of the machines on the floor. On another, the deck was canted to one side a good half inch or more and the choke knob was missing. The expert salesman said yes indeed, the CC’s had an automatic transmission just like a car – probably two or three gears, he wasn’t sure.

Need I say more?