Drain tran fluid to change filter?

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter? #1  

JackinVirginia

I know, it's a dumb question. But on the 1860 I got for $700 with 700 hrs, it looks like there is a lot of transmission case ABOVE the filter. Can I be sure if I remove the filter to change it I won't get a lot of expensive fluid on the floor?
Jack

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter? #2  
Take off the deck to allow more room.
Jack up the front as high as you can, or put it on car ramps.
Have the new filter ready.
Change it as fast as you can and top it off with new (expensive) fluid.

I used about a half-quart when I did mine.

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter? #3  
I suspect you would get most of the fluid on the 'floor' or in an oil pan (I find that better than draining it on the floor). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suspect you would get most of the fluid on the 'floor' or in an oil pan (I find that better than draining it on the floor). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

I see you ain't changed the oil in a 2500HD Chevy with the 6.0 engine. Even with an oil pan, you will cover the floor, or in my case the driveway. I cut up a gallon jug to divert the oil so it doesn't shoot straight back into the exhaust crossover pipe. Otherwise, you might get two of the 6 quarts in the pan...

Still, good point about using a pan. Wish I woulda thought of it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter? #5  
Be happy your 1860 doesn't spec "cub cadet drive system fluid plus". That stuff is $7-8/qt. If you have the spin on filter that mounts on the front of the diff, then lifting the front wheels off the ground will definately help! You can also throw a pipe cap or cork on the filter nipple which will prevent leakage.
G/luck
Joel

/ Drain tran fluid to change filter?
Thanks for the help, guys.
Jack