Cub Cadet 5234D Problem...

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem... #1  

bur1196

Ok, my dad wanted to go outside and cut grass with his Cub Cadet 5234D tractor and as soon as he put the mower on, it died and could not be restarted...After doing some research, we found out that the fuse was blown, we replaced it no problem, he started it up put the mower on and it was fine...Then he put the lights on, it died, fuse problem again...Upon further investigation, we measured the battery's voltage and it read 19.2 volts, doesn't that seem a little high? Could this be the reason why the fuse keeps blowing? I am trying to get an idea of what to expect before I take it to the dealer...Thanks in advance!!

Greg

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem... #2  
Is that voltage measured with the engine running or not? Either way it's too high, sounds like it's over-charging as it should be a 12 volt battery, and shouldn't have more than 14.5 to 15 volts while running.

Good luck!

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem...
That was without the engine running...My guess is that the battery is shot, sad thing is the tractor is only 2 months old...Could it be the alternator too?? Thanks!!

Greg

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem... #4  
The alternator is probably OK but the voltage regulator might be bad. If you got a reading of 19+ volts on the battery WITHOUT the engine running, I would strongly suspect a problem with your voltmeter. I seriously doubt if any 12 volt battery could be overcharged enough to give that kind of a reading. Maybe you can borrow another meter to compare it with.

Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem... #5  
Just check your meter on your car, it should be around 14-16v while running and 12 when off. If you have fuses blowing, chances are you have a short someplace. When the Alternator overcharges, a couple of things can happen. Some systems have a an over current fuseable link that will blow, or you'll just burn out the battery. If you are indeed overcharging, I would suspect the regulator. It's usually built into the alternator these days. If all is well with the charging system, and your meter was simply off a bit, and still blowing fuses, start looking for short curcuits and bad grounds.

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just check your meter on your car, it should be around 14-16v while running and 12 when off. If you have fuses blowing, chances are you have a short someplace. When the Alternator overcharges, a couple of things can happen. Some systems have a an over current fuseable link that will blow, or you'll just burn out the battery. If you are indeed overcharging, I would suspect the regulator. It's usually built into the alternator these days. If all is well with the charging system, and your meter was simply off a bit, and still blowing fuses, start looking for short curcuits and bad grounds. )</font>

Good point! A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts with the engine off although it may read slightly higher for a few minutes after shutting it off. My old 1450 had a separate replaceable regulator, which was easily accessible. Not sure about newer models.

Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet 5234D Problem...
Apparently they said that the battery is fine, and it could get that high...They found out that the blinking light relay went bad...Replaced it and it has been fine...Thanks!!

Greg