Kubota or Cadet?

/ Kubota or Cadet? #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
I am dreaming about upgrading to a slightly larger machine than my old (70's?) Kubota B7100 gear with FEL. This little tractor has been very reliable and handy to have around, but I'm finding my back would very much appreciate something with a suspension seat and a roomier operator station. I also have a Cadet 109 that has been serving well for about 30 years and just got a new 12 hp engine, plus a Cadet 1250.

The dealer I've been working with over the years sells Kubota, Cub Cadet, and Massey. I had a very good experience with Cub Cadet standing behind their machine when Kohler wouldn't replace the lemon engine I originally had installed in the 109 -- Cub Cadet bought me a new engine, unasked!

In talking with the dealer, they think the Kubota'a are the better machine in the 25-30 hp range, but one salesman is partial to the Massey's. Barring something nice coming along on the used/auction market, I'm thinking in terms of a new machine, HST, FEL, and maybe a hoe.

What are your (biased) opinions about the Cadet vs. Kubota choice. Again, same dealer, so we're just talking machine comparisons here.

Thanks.

/ Kubota or Cadet? #2  
If I were in your shoes, had your options, I would purchase a Massey 1528hydro w/FEL. The Cub would be last on my list. Cub makes the finest lawn mowers on the market, but they still have a ways to go with their compacts. Cub Cadet doesn't make bad compact tractors I just think there are some better machines on the market for the $. Test drive all three and see which one fits you best, thats the one you will want to take home.

/ Kubota or Cadet? #3  
I disagree with gamble77 on the quality of compact Cubs. As a dealer he has a better view of compacts than I but this forum is replete with strong comments about the Cub Compacts. I have had one for 8 or 9 years now (7234, 23HP Mitsubishi, 4WD) and it has been an excellent tractor. I haven't compared lately but at the time the features Cub had over the other brands and the cost was much better that JD, New Holland, Kubota, or Massey. I'm not saying those aren't excellent tractors but they were higher priced in my area with less features. I would definitely look at the Cubs again but as an informed consumer I would again test drive, compare features & dollars, etc. The filters and some are things from Cub are pricey but many OEM items from other manufacturers are as well, ie. cars, trucks, etc.

/ Kubota or Cadet? #4  
I've always been a fan of the older (90's) Cub compacts. I've never really heard alot of complaints. Not sure on the newer ones though.

/ Kubota or Cadet? #5  
Mitsubishi builds the Cub 7000 series and Kioti builds the Cub 8000 series compacts. Both are very good tractor manufacturers and both look good in Cub yellow and white. They're just as good as any other tractor in the same class and better than some and typically priced less than the big 3. GET A GOOD DEALER!