newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer!

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #1  

RP7205

well i'll start at the beginning & hope i don't bore anyone.i wanted a j.d. tractor 6 yrs. ago & scince i couldn't afford new back then,i was in the used market.wow! was i paying for a name or what? rusted/beat junk was going for 1700 plus! i stumbled on to a 1998 cub 2155 with the kohler & hydro trans. with 240 hrs. it looked new for $1400 kept it for another 300 hrs. & 5 yrs.great machine! but needed a something that could take a ft. end loader (fel) so i sold it for a 1998 7205 w/314 hrs. for 7k with 60" deck.i've had it for about a year now & am really getting frustrated every time i go to get a part its $50 plus! air filter $49.99 plus tax ouch!! i found a fram CAK530 for $13.00 that works fine! just a piece of foam at the end to take up the gap,but just about the same filter.engine oil filter mitsu $21.00 not again! fram TG7317 fits perfect & works great.i will switch to a napa (wix) soon though,wix makes great filters! does anyone have any suggestions on hydrostatic & hydraulic filters,them 2 just cost me $100.21 w/tax!! that hurt.i had a cub dealer in ny. sell me 2 napa gold filters(1664) this summer that were ok' til i installed the fel 2 months ago (another 3k) but now with the fel the hydrolic filter doesn't feel right , it acts like a partially plugged filter.anyone have any other suggestions or should i just stick with the factory filters at 100 bucks every 200 hours?i do have a couple other questions but will wait til' a later date,i think i've probably said enough this time! thanks in advance!

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #2  
<font color="blue"> i found a fram CAK530 for $13.00 that works fine! just a piece of foam at the end to take up the gap,but just about the same filter </font>
This would really bother me. A $50 filter would be cheap compared to the damage that a filter that doesn't fit can do.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #3  
A dumb suggestion but when you installed the loader did you add enough extra fluid to fill the FEL cylinders at full extension?

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer!
your right it doesn't sound correct the way i wrote that.if you put these filters side by side they are identical except the metal end on the oem covers the canister also that the filter goes it to where the fram does not it just covers the end of the filter itself.the seal on the end of the filter,the plastic fan,the wing nut divet & even the paper element are identical.i found this air filter & engine oil filter in 1 of frams cross referance guides under cub cadet / air filters.i would not encourage anything if i thought it harm mine or anyone else's engine.so i will let you decide on this one,take your 7205 filter to tractor supply & compare them.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer!
i changed the hydrolic & hydro filters & fluid at the same time i installed the loader.what i noticed on the oem filters is they are hi-flow filters,the napa filters are just regular engine oil filters.the fluid is full & i went with the cadet trans/hydrolic fluid.even though it was pretty expensive.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #6  
I'm surprised the Napa guy sold you engine oil filters. On my 7234 4WD Sycro, Napa could cross the oil and hydraulic filters to WIX/NAPA numbers. I am using the Napa Gold Oil Filter now and I assume the Napa Hydraulic would be a hydraulic filter not an engine oil filter. When I shopped around I found an OEM Hyd. filter a little cheaper than the Napa version. The OEM 'stuff' is definitely pricey. If you use OEM you know it meets the manufacturers specs though.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #7  
The engine oil filter for the 7205 is the Mitsu MD134953. This is used on several Mitsu cars and is available at any Mitsu car dealership. The online Mitsu dealers sell them for about $7.40. Cases are available too. Much cheaper than Cub dealer and the same part. Gee I wonder if MTD is gouging? AGAIN! Ther is also a Kubota air fiter that is an exact replacement for the 7205 unit. Runs about $18-$21. Cub wants like $65? What's that about? Oh no! You don't suppose they are GOUGING us? I will post the Kubota P/N. There are equivalents for both HST, Hydraulic and fuel filters as well. I'll dig around for those #'s.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #8  
Kubota air filter 15852-11082 fits my 7205 perfectly. Seale tightly and offrers more airflow due to less restrictive perforations.
NAPA 3264 fuel filter fits exactly.
Fram crosses the Mitsu hydraulic filter # to their 1656. I have this filter but have not used it. The construction is not up to OEM. However, you can cross the 1656 to Wix or Hastings or something else of better quality? I also have a cross for the HST and am trying to find the paper I wrote it on.

/ newbie hi guys or ladies? 7205 filters a killer! #9  
I would be VERY careful. Most HST and hydraulic system filters are purpose made with correct micron size,flow capability and magnetic pickup to help collect metal particles that are going to shed in the system. You can tell when you pick one up,its heavier.

Also fooling around with an intake filter like you're doing exposes the engine to dirt. Air is like water.......it follows the path of least resistance. It'll go IN your engine around that foam and the main filter will look fine because there's very little air passing through it.

Wait until you see the costs of engine parts on a compact utility tractor. This can be a very expensive lesson.