A New Revolution for MTD withThe ivt transmission

/ A New Revolution for MTD withThe ivt transmission
sounds like the transmission run's right to engine,with no fixed gear ratio.run's by a ecliptic sun gear which has no teeth and spaced between a fluid with long chain molecules.Thus saving 30% more gas running at any set engine rpm. sounds cool!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ A New Revolution for MTD withThe ivt transmission #3  
Personally I'm not holding my breath on a design that is a variation of a very old concept.

In the area this forum covers, engines vary speed very little during operation and most of the claimed ecconomy comes from operating the engine at it optumum speed range. As for the varible speed, doesn't seem to offer anything over a hst which is simpler in design.

In the auto world, two of the worlds largest auto Co's has said no-thanks and I don't see that if the concept delivered what was claimed. Co's have been looking at different xmission designs for yrs and I can't think of any that have been a commercial success.

From my reading of the article most of the fuel ecconomy was from the ability to separate engine speed from ground speed. Operate the engine in it's most efficient speed range. Generically speaking, transmissions are very efficient in operation, certainly no where near the point that a 35% improvement in fuel ecconomy could be achived by just the transmission itself.

Time will tell.