/ 5264 #2  
My dealer is trying to steer me away from the diesel and towards the 4WD Kawi instead. He's implying the diesel in this model is not as good at the CAT in the 6000 series, and that, for the money, the Kawi is a better engine. Any thoughts? Price quoted is $8700.

/ 5264 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My dealer is trying to steer me away from the diesel and towards the 4WD Kawi instead. He's implying the diesel in this model is not as good at the CAT in the 6000 series, and that, for the money, the Kawi is a better engine. Any thoughts? Price quoted is $8700. )</font>

That a shame that he is doing that because its a Diashitsu (sp) diesel -now Part of B &S. I havent heard a negative thing about them. I would take it over gas anyday of the week...

/ 5264 #4  
I believe there are two diesel alternative, 23 and 26 HP. Is one significantly better, worse than the other? Or is it a question of need? What is a good price for each?Thanks

/ 5264 #5  
Those Diahatsu diesels are very high quality engines! I'd much prefer them over the Kawasaki gas engine anyday. For that matter,those "Cat" diesels also,which are actually Perkins diesel engines(a Cat subsidiary) which are,in my honest opinion,nothing special! I am a diesel technician with 35 years of experience in this field,and I have seen them both in the "field" as well as in the shop. The Diahatsu engines are really top-notch!

The Kawasaki gas is definitely a much lighter duty engine by any standard.

/ 5264 #6  
The Kawi is a great gas engine, but, I would take the diesel (almost any brand) over a gas for a tractor. At work we have probably 75-100 different diesel machines... Kubota, CAT, Perkins, NH, Detroit, Ford, GM, Duetz, Cummins, etc. And I really can't say anything bad about any of them.. big or small. Sounds like he is trying to move a unit he has in stock.

/ 5264 #7  
Agreed with all, the diesel is the way to go. I was looking at prices yesterday between the 23 & 26hp versions and I think there is like $160.00 difference (thats dealer cost) so I would recommend stepping up to the 26hp version.

I agree that the dealer is just trying to get rid of the gas model he has on the lot. I would get a price on the 26hp, the diesel is the obvious choice here.

/ 5264 #8  
Your posts have all been very helpful. What should I expect the dealer to quote for retail on a 26 HP diesel 5264 that he'll have to order? He doesn't have one in stock or he would have shown it to me. He has two of the Kawis and two of the 2WD gas models in stock, plus the 6284, which he has priced at $12,999 (seems high to me). And can someone react to the quote I got for the 5254 of $8700? thanks

/ 5264 #9  
I'm sorry I'm such a novice at this; I've now gone to the site given by Hard in the first post to this discussion. So here's my really dumb question, are the prices listed the dealer's cost or suggested retail? If dealer cost, I've read somewhere else its reasonable to then add 10-15% for the dealer profit. How easy is it for the dealer to order these, and what's reasonable to add to the dealer cost when he doesn't have to carry in inventory?

/ 5264 #10  
The price you see there ($9,499.00) is the "retail sale" price. I think that this price is fair for this machine. If you really wanted to stick to the whole "10-12 percent" deal you might could shave a couple hundred off that price. However, remember that your dealer will have to pay freight on that machine to get it and then set it up. Not as much markup in a 9K tractor as there is in a 15K tractor so keep that in mind. Just depends on how badly the dealer wants to make the deal and earn another customer. Good luck and keep us posted.