Mowing 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question

/ 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question #1  

rcflyer15

Hello to all. I have a Cub Cadet 17hp Diesel SGT tractor. The bearings went out in my mower clutch. Can they be replaced? Or should I just muster up the dough and buy a 280.00 clutch? Also is there anywhere I could get a clutch cheaper than from cub? Thanks!

/ 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question #2  
Those electric clutches pop up on e-bay often, and at prices usually around $20-30. There is a special procedure used for setting up mower PTO clutches using a feeler gauge, and as many people never set them right or keep them adjusted it is the main reason they burn up quickly. The setting procedure can be found on many internet sites.

-Fordlords-

/ 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question #3  
You can purchase a replacement bearing locally. Many J D dealers stock them as well as bearing supply houses. You need to provide the number and manufacturer info from the old bearing or have them ID it for you.

/ 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question #4  
Only the PTO clutches used on the older model Cubs are considered to be, "rebuildable," but that does not mean the inspired person can't do it. But, on the newer clutches the clearances are so tight that if the bearing is bad, the components of the clutch likely rubbed up against one another which will make spending the time to repair the clutch a waste. Inspect it, and if anything rubbed it's best to just toss it in the trash.

I saw in the, "buy it now" section of E-Bay a whole slew of new Warner PTO clutches for Cubs, the most expesive one there was $239.00. Any time one of there clutches is removed or replaced on the engine it must be set to spec- don't try to do it by eyeball or feel, it must be set evenly with a feeler gauge. Set right they should last 20+ years, set wrong lucky to make it through one season. Too much belt tension can be a factor causing bearing wear.

-Fordlords-

/ 1782/1772 Mower clutch Question #5  
If the bearing failed ,as they often do over time,there may not be other issues. I have installed many new bearings in the electric clutches without any problems,saving my customers serious cash. They appreciate the savings while understanding that the other clutch components are not new,only the "loud" or "tight" bearing which was needed.
Not trying to create an issue with ya,but on the Warner Electric clutches bearing replacement is quite commonplace.