Synthetic oil

/ Synthetic oil #1  

kbmzx9

Tractor
'06 SLT1554
After the initial break in period of 10 hrs, is there any reason I can't use synthetic oil in my '06 SLT1554?

Ed LeBlanc

/ Synthetic oil #2  
That should be fine. I bought a generator last year that came shipped with Mobil 1. I've always heard to break them in on dyno oil... but it seems more and more engines are being sold with synthetic.

/ Synthetic oil #3  
I waited until 100 hours before I put synthetic in my diesel.

/ Synthetic oil
Yea, I should probably let the rings seat a little more than just ten hours. Thanks to all for the replies.

Ed LeBlanc /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Synthetic oil #5  
Modern engines don't need a break in period. Many high end vehicles are coming straight from the factory filled with synthetic.

/ Synthetic oil
If these engines don't need a break in period, why is everyone, dealer included, recommending changing oil and filter at 10 hrs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Ed LeBlanc

/ Synthetic oil #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If these engines don't need a break in period, why is everyone, dealer included, recommending changing oil and filter at 10 hrs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Ed LeBlanc )</font>

So you go to the dealer to buy 2qts of oil and a filter! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nahh... it's a good idea to get the break-in particles out of there. Look at the "break-in" oil on a brand new small air cooled engine w/ out a filter. It's full of glitter /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

G/luck
Joel

/ Synthetic oil #8  
I would definitely do a 10 Hr break in oil change on a new engine, even one with a filter. I changed out the oil in my new engine at 7 hrs, and even with a large filter when I put some of the drained oil into a clean container, it did not appear to be as clean as I would have thought. It's just a good idea.

Synthetic or not with a new engine should not matter, but synthetic oil should NOT be used to extend change intervals. (Take this from my 10 yrs experience in the trucking industry.) I do not recommend using synthetic oil in the older engines, as it is more leak prone than regular dinosaur oil, and can make small leaks big, and start new ones.

-fordlords-

/ Synthetic oil
Thanks guys, all info is helpful!!

Ed LeBlanc /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Synthetic oil #10  
Some of the high performance cars like the Corvette, for example, come with synthetic oil and that is the only oil recommended to use.

Bob B.