Cub Vs. John Deere

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #1  

rcflyer15

I would like to shed my .02 on this subject. I have worked in a John Deere Ag dealership now for over 5 years. The dealership I work at also has a large lawn mower customer base ranging from LT's to the compact utility lines. I have watched 5 of the JD Lt series mowers have the frames replaced under warranty because of cracking. I have seen failed engines, failed transmissions, and poorly stamped decks. The decks on the JD LT line of mowers are really light and flimsy. I compare the New X300 series that just came out to the 1000 series cubs. The hoods are flimsy and the frame looks thin. Also John Deere still insists on using belt drive(JUNK). I have a 1993 Cub Cadet 1782 diesel with 389 hours with a 48 GT deck. I would never own a JD mower as I feel they are UNDER-built and WAY OVER-priced! Just my .02 worth from a JD dealer employee.

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #2  
Basically all of the lower price range LT's are light duty mowers that are not going to stand up to much abuse. They purposely make them as light and cheap as they can get away with now, and it does not surprise me that they have reached the point of flimsiness where serious problems such as the cracked frames are showing up even under regular use. I personally would not spend my money on any of the entry level LT's out there, and there are even very few of the more expensive GT's out now that I would consider. It's a shame we live in a throw-away society now, but I doubt we will ever go back to seeing things be built the way they should be. If MTD produced a new 682 identical to the one I have, it would probably cost $20k for the cost of materials that would need to be used.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Vs. John Deere
I would have to agree with you 100% on this. If you get the chance go to your local JD dealer and just look at how light the new X300 Select Tractors are. Even the new X534 Garden tractor is just a Lt in garden tractor shrouding. I think MTD has there stuff together and is finally realizing that They have an opportunity to over power mighty JD in the outdoor power equipment realm(tractor wise up to lower compact size anyway). And the way I seem to think they'll succeed is I've been told that MTD is now going to remove the Blades of grass=cheap logo from the Cub's and they are starting to make them much better again, I hope this is true and they do go through with it. Even the 1000 series cub's are made much better than the deere 100 series. And by the way the tractors that are cracking the frames aren't even the el'cheapo L100's they are the more expensive Lt line that the new mostly plastic L series replaced that deere is flooding the tv with. Once again guys I work at a deere dealer but own a Cub Cadet. What does that tell ya? Thanks again, just my .02 worth.

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #4  
Sad to say for JD, but your assessment of the JD X series is honestly right on the money Rcflyer15. I had not seen these yet, but did so today. Those look to be the absolute cheapest lawn and garden tractors I had the displeasure to set my eyes on. Frame? There hardly is one! Seriously, I'd go to Sears and by a Craftsman before one of those if I had no other choice.

I'm not brand-bashing here, and am a lover of the old JD's just like the Cubs. But I'd welcome anyone out there to take a look at these JD X series too- the X should stand for forget it- they are honestly THAT bad, just go and see for yourself, and JD should be embarassed to put their name on those- Then look at the PRICES on them! Then you REALLY know they are trying to fool people with the color and the name!

They have to be marketing that line for the people who walk in knowing NOTHING about lawn and garden tractors- and will probably sell tons of them to the uneducated and unknowing American consumers! What a shameful line of tractors for Deere, just saddens me more that a past well respected American product name has come to that! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #5  
Thats a shame I happen to like the JD products (most of them), I think their compacts are the best -Just a opinion.

Im not familar with this years models since they re-arranged the part numbers. I do find folks least likely to publically complain about JD quality issues (and suffer in silence) than lets says a Cub or other brand. I have no doubt the repairs shops are just as full as everyones elses.....

JD has too much overhead, so they jack up the prices. I wonder how long that will last especially when Kubota is hot on their heels...

Duc

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #6  
In that price range you are not going to really find any brand that is of what I'd consider notable quality. We all know that Cub has certainly had it's share of issues with that same price range. What is interesting though is that Consumer Reports, based on actual owner's responses, rates JD at the very top and Cub right at the bottom in that category of lawn tractors. I've owned LT's from both JD and Cub in the past. In that same category I'd honestly have to say that I had the best service from an MTD I bought at Sam's Club. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #7  
Yeah, those new X300 series look just like the 100 series? What gives, marketing?!? They're not all high quality, high-end like my 2544! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joel

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #8  
That's why I bought a Cub. The JD's are made so cheap and cost a heck of alot more than CC.

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #9  
I guy I work with has a sister that works for MTD. He told me they make the lower end John Deere's. I was shocked! What a world we live in!!!!

/ Cub Vs. John Deere #10  
WHEN MY SEARS FINIALY THREW THE MOWER BELT FOR THE LAST TIME, I STARTED TO LOOK FOR MY REPLACEMENT. I REALY WANTED A DEERE AND LOOKED INTO THEM. I BOUGHT A CUB 5252 BECAUSE THE VALUE WAS SO MUCH BETTER AND GAVE ME MORE FOR MY MONEY. I HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED AND DO NOT REGRET NOT GETTING THE JOHN DEERE ONE BIT. THESE LAST POSTS JUST MAKES ME FEEL ALOT BETTER