2544/3100

/ 2544/3100 #1  

sharonmike

I'm looking to replace my 1420 this year. When I purchased it in 1988, it was overkill for the 1 acre of level grass to mow. I figured it would last longer if I didn't have to overwork it. 6 years ago we moved and now it's just not enough. The property we have now has about the same amount of grass but is hilly, rough, rocks, roots and some damp areas. Also I would like to be able to climb a grade and get into the woods with a cart.

Just like 1988, I've checked all the competition and have narrowed it down to another Cub. Two in particular, the 2544 and bagger ($3600) or the 3100 with 44" deck and baggger ($5100). Mostly I need the traction and feel larger wheels and more weight should help. Really the only reason I'm considering the 3100 is the power steering and two pedals for forward/reverse. Just sitting on the 2544, I don't like the reverse pedal, seems to be in the way.

I've checked through all of the posts that mention either of these machines but saw no complaints of the reverse pedal. Am I only looking at the 3100 because I'm just a kid at heart and like new toys? Even though the 3100 is a bunch of money, the 1420 cost me about $2000 18 years ago and was money well spent. Any other benefits of the 3100? Or just serious overkill?

Mike

/ 2544/3100 #2  
There is a ton of info on the 3000 series - look at the posts that includes 3204, 3225, 3235, 3200....they share a lot of the same hardware

As for what works best for your needs - cant answer that one for you. The 3100 is a big upgrade over a 2500 series....you have to decide whats important

Duc

/ 2544/3100 #3  
Have to agree with Duc. We share the same model and about same age. The additional money spent now will more than likely be recouped down the line with more yrs of service and a better resell value.

My previous GT was a JD 318. HAd it 15 yrs when replaced and book value was $2500. Paid $4000, that's only a $1500 drop in value, $100/yr for the time period I owned it. Doubt you can have that level of cost of ownership with a low end model.

/ 2544/3100
Interesting. Do you feel the 2500 series is a low end model?

/ 2544/3100 #5  
Mike, if you are more comfortable behind the wheel of the 3K series, like the power steering, pedal position & the money is no object, by all means, go for it!! If u need to cap the cost at around $3K, you can't beat a 2544. I'm not knocking the 3K series in any way, but it will not hold it's resale value like a comparable JD will. It's just not green & yellow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As far as cutting grass goes, it will come out the same with a 2544 or a 3100 with a 44". If you want to blow snow or do lots of heavy stuff, go with a 3K. (just the opinions of a lowly 2544 owner.)

Joel

/ 2544/3100 #6  
I would certinly don't think the 25xx is an entry level model. I don't live and breath these things and don't know much of anything about this series. Do believe these use horiz shaft engines and have shaft drives. My experience is limited to top of line models this past 30 yrs and don't pay attention to low end models.

Personally have a bias against vert shaft engines and don't really pay any attention to them.

One thing I do advocate on the Cub's is if you ever have to deal with heavy and wet grass, go for the upgrade mower deck as it is way better than the std deck. The upgrade deck has adj front casters and full with adj roller in back. Way better built and makes a world of difference in adverse conditions. Think m deck tips the scales at 260# Personally I'd passed on my Cub if I hadn't had a chance to test both decks on my place. Don't know if this deck is available on the 25xx models.

/ 2544/3100
Thanks for the responses!

Mike

/ 2544/3100 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not knocking the 3K series in any way, but it will not hold it's resale value like a comparable JD will.
Joel
)</font>

I chuckle when I hear this - How do you define resale value?
If the comparable item from another mfg is at least $2500 more, I guess its resale should be higher, otherwise your taking a bigger hit by the purchase (paying more for a comparable product) and the resale no? If you looked at actual resale value vs actual purchase price, at least on the 3000 series its close to 45% or higher....I see some Deeres at the same percentage

I would rather have cash in pocket....

/ 2544/3100 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .. I chuckle when I hear this - How do you define resale value?
If the comparable item from another mfg is at least $2500 more, I guess its resale should be higher...)</font>

I wouldn't call it my 'definition', but for example: You purchase a JD product comparable to a CC 3K series. Lets say you pay ~$7K for it brand-new. Use it for ~5yrs and you can still sell it for $4-5K. You can recoup most of your money. I've been there before. Can you get recoup ~70% of your money from a 5yr old CC 3K series? Nope. I'm with you though, I'd rather keep the cash in pocket which is why I dont have a green/yellow & love my CC!

Joel

/ 2544/3100 #10  
With you all the way. Which is why I have owned a 3204 and presently own a 5254. Couldn't find comparable machines for the price anywhere. Love my 5254.

Thanks for the posts, Alan