problems with my 3100

/ problems with my 3100 #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
i bought a 3100 with 54" deck last july. i love the mower, it is a beast. but i have a couple minor problems that i am wondering about. first, the right rear wheel has a couple of chips in the powder coating(at least they look powder coated). this was not caused by me hitting anything. the mower has been BABIED by me. my concern is that it will get worse and rust. should the dealer replace this under warranty? it really causes me concern for the long term durability of the wheels coatng. secondly, the decal that covers the instument panel is already coming off. i dont want to be nit-picky but this mower cost me almost $6k out the door and i was expecting more. what do you guys think i should about these probs?

/ problems with my 3100 #2  
I think it is asking too much for a chip on a wheel unless it clearly can be shown it is a peeling issue. As for the decal/label on the machine, that I would expect to get repaired. Cub has had problem along this line for several seasons. There is no excuss for this other than a cost issue and a quarter-fifty cent cost issue is cutting it too close on a high end machine. (I delt with labels as a design engineer so have some knowledge about the problems Cub owners are experiencing.)

As for the chip, I'd take a picture of it and date it, may be even notify the dealer so they have a record. Apply some paint to prevent rust from forming. If more "chips" show up on a continuing basis, then I'd insist the dealer address the issue.

/ problems with my 3100 #3  
A paint chip on a steel wheel? This is a 'problem'? C'mon man! TOUCH IT UP! It's a TRACTOR! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nah, Just kidd'n. I know it's aggrevating, but u gotta get your tools/toys dirty! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joel

/ problems with my 3100 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i bought a 3100 with 54" deck last july. i love the mower, it is a beast. but i have a couple minor problems that i am wondering about. first, the right rear wheel has a couple of chips in the powder coating(at least they look powder coated). this was not caused by me hitting anything. the mower has been BABIED by me. my concern is that it will get worse and rust. should the dealer replace this under warranty? it really causes me concern for the long term durability of the wheels coatng. secondly, the decal that covers the instument panel is already coming off. i dont want to be nit-picky but this mower cost me almost $6k out the door and i was expecting more. what do you guys think i should about these probs? )</font>

The glue that Cub uses is horrible -most stickers will start to peel by the first year - It will happen and be forwarned. You can get another set from the dealer under warranty but the glue is the same. I would find some better glue at the local hardware store and be done with it.
As for the rims, see if the dealer can give you a small can of Cub white paint (not the spray can). Get a small artist paint brush and just dab it. I had new rims and just by putting a new tire on, it got chipped and scratched. You might as well get yellow too for the fenders because they will chip for basic use. There is nothing unusal about that, and its normal useage wear and tear.
Im a neat nick myself and as hard as I try, things get scratched or chipped. I even hit my rear fender with my FEL on my compact. It was cheaper getting another fender for that one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Enjoy the machine, and do what you can to keep it in good condition, thats all you can do

Duc

/ problems with my 3100 #5  
I forgot to mention how much you will love the underside of your deck after all the paint peels off from the moisture in the grass - /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but thats a universal problem with all decks

/ problems with my 3100 #6  
I thought maybe jmt1271 was going to comment on how to keep the underside of his mower deck from rusting up. I bought a new 3100 also...it is still sitting in the garage unused. I have a concern about the undersides of that mower deck. My old JD rusted up so badly on the underside that the grass sticks like glue to it and as a result it plugs up solid after only a few feet of mowing. Anyone got any ideas on that one? Maybe doing something with it while it is new is necessary.
Concerning the decals, I have a similiar problem. One of the hood decals just won't stay stuck down. It continually pops up in places, I press it back down and a few days later, it pops back up again. Just some poor adhesive as someone mentioned.
When a piece of equipment is new and that costly, it is not easy to accept that it will soon become used and worn. That is one reason I usually buy something that is already used and then spend some extra elbow grease and bucks cleaning it up. I pay alot less that way and it looks better after I worked on it. My wife and I made an exception with the 3100, but now we have to accept that it is a tool and has a job to do.