Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ?

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #1  

Sigma

Bronze Member
I'm leaning towards the Z Force, but M 50 commercial model looks more appealing. I'm only mowing 1.5 acres, so the Z Force will be plenty, I just wasn't sure if the M50 was worth the extra $1,000.

I would think you'd want the arm rests added to the M50, not sure how much that would cost?

Any thoughts?

Is the M50 worth the extra $ ?

Thanks,
Greg

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #2  
For the amount of grass you are mowing then I could not justify the extra 1K...however, you obviously are getting more machine. It is always easier to try to justify getting the larger machine by saying it is "more capable" but thats like saying a Corvette is "more capable" in getting you back and forth to work in bumper to bumper traffic then a Malibu when in reality if the Corvette doesn't have room to stretch its legs then you just spent a lot of $$ for no better performance. Do you see what I am getting at?

The Z-Force 50 is a great machine and will cut your 1.5 acres just fine and last for years to come. If you have an extra 1K floating around then get the M50KHS, although you won't ever be able to say you "justified" that extra money. If you had 5 acres to cut it would be different. Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #3  
Any specific challanges that make the M50 look better? By coincidence, I was looking at them side by side just a few days ago; no doubt it has it's place in the CC lineup, but IMHO I still think of the M50 as more a ZF on steriods than a commerical machine.

The M50's tranny is the improved version of the IZT, but it has to carry the extra weight, so hard telling many hours it gains. The deck might be deeper (don't trust my eyeball) it also might have heavier bearings (check the CC websites, but I think so), but the ZF's deck looked like the same thickness or thicker if your abuse is deck related. I can certainly see the M50 in stituations that seem a bit big for a ZF, but can't warrant a commericial machine; but for 1.5acre, the ZF wouldn't scare me. I actually considered using a ZF on over 5acres; a commercial machine won there, but you'd have to have the nastiest 1.5acre lawn I've ever saw to compare to the abuse in that case.

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ?
Thanks for the replys.

The salesman said it would be the best $1,000 I could spend to upgrade to the M50, but I'm certain I don't need it.

As soon as I sell my B7100 Kubota I'm pretty certain I'm going with the ZF50.

I haven't seen too many negative comments on the ZF other than making sure you keep water out of the vent tubes.

Any other suggestions, or warnings?

Thanks, again.

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The salesman said it would be the best $1,000 I could spend to upgrade to the M50, but I'm certain I don't need it. )</font>

I had to do a real double take when it came out, thinking it had the Mseries drive system; in which case, it would be the bang for the buck hands down (it's possible that the ZT2800 turns out to be a very hardy drive system, but only time will tell). It's possible your dealer is also thinking it has more in common with the rest of the Mseries than it actually does.

The other possibility he might be looking at: do you have areas where the larger tires or something would be beneficial? Hard telling whether he's blowing smoke at you, or if he does understand your challanges better than we could. Even at that, I just can't see 1.5 acres having much the ZF couldn't handle.

Also, I'm not sure if either one (maybe both though) has a hitch for a wagon or anything - if you have tools like that anyway.

Will he let you test both?

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #6  
Cub does not offer any type of hitch for their ztr mowers. Reason being is that it is so simple to turn over any type of cart or pull behind item with a zero turn mower and they don't won't to be held responsible for that...they are a VERY safety oriented company.

Of course i have seen them made up before. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have a Wheel Horse for pulling items, so that isn't an issue. It has a 42" deck and it currently takes about 2 hrs. and 10 min., so if the ZF50 can knock that down 45 min or so, that'll be great. I haven't seen any estimated acres/hour. Is there info. on this somewhere?

The dealer that is pushing the M50 did say it has corners cut compared to the other Tanks. I liked the looks, but not for over $1k more.

I think I'll be going with the ZF50.

Thanks, for the input.

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I'll be going with the ZF50.

Thanks, for the input. )</font>

Many of the commericial mower sites have charts (try Exmark, Scag,......), but you need to find a chart that list your expected average operating (not max) speed too. Anyway, a Z's real gains are on manuverability; I think your goal is quite reasonable and could be achieved averaging 5mph [you have roughly 65Ksqft; divided by 80% efficiency (slowing for turns, a little overlap, etc); divided by 4 feet width, divided by 5280 ft/mile and .75hour] after a little practice anyway.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, do us a couple favors? When you pick up the ZF, could you ask the dealer why he recommended the M50 for your property just for curiousity and let us know? Also, some pictures of that ZF50 munching up your grass or spinning around a tree or something would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The 0 % finacing is tempting to go ahead and get the mower now instead of waiting on selling the Kubota, but I think I'd better hold off for now.

Doing that math, if I averaged 2.5 mph and the 80% efficiency I could get done in about an hour. I've heard you cut mowing time in half with the ztr mowers .... hopefully I be able to find out before long.

/ Z Force 50 vs. M 50 ? Worth the extra $ ? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 0 % finacing is tempting to go ahead and get the mower now instead of waiting on selling the Kubota, but I think I'd better hold off for now. )</font>
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You're figuring the long term costs.....very smart! It does bring up a strange question; the M50 may have better financing (when I was looking last year, the commercial financing didn't apply to the 50 though), so it's possible you'd spend less by "paying" more. Worth checking anyway!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Doing that math, if I averaged 2.5 mph and the 80% efficiency I could get done in about an hour. I've heard you cut mowing time in half with the ztr mowers .... hopefully I be able to find out before long. )</font>
I think you mulitplied the 80% instead of dividing it, but I could have typed it out wrong too. Anyway, here's a link to Exmark's Chart. Also, I was figuring 48 not 50 inches, but I know I don't hit quite the 80% so figured it fair. Regardless, if you have many obstacles at all, I think you'll be thoroughly impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif