10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #1  

cager

Tractor
2005 CC 2554
Completed the recommended 10 hr oil and hydro change the other day on my cc2554. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The oil change became a real mess. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Hope someone can provide some feedback and/or share your "lessons learned".
First, I had to remove the side panel to get to the oil filter and the plug.
Second, I placed a pan under the area to catch the draining oil.
Third, I used the flexible tubing (provided by CC) to drain the oil which is where the mess started. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Fourth, spent the next 30 mins or so cleaning up the spillage. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
So, my fellow cc'rs, what did I do wrong and how can I avoid the mess next time? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #2  
Yep, lots of posts on this. It's a real joy. For the engine oil change coming up on my 2544, I will be sucking out the oil thru the dipstick tube. Hard to believe CC set the drain up that way on the 2005's atleast.

Joel

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #3  
Cager

Is your rig a 05 or 06 model? I'm asking because I was looking at an 06 2554 model and the dealer said it was easy to change the fluids. I too would like to know the real story.

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #4  
Just lift the hood and take a look on the 2006 2500 series. On the 2005's the engine oil drain for the kohler command twins sets right on top of a frame cross-member. There is no room between the bottom of the drain and the frame. If you ever had to replace the brass part of the drain, the engine would have to be unbolted, uncoupled and lifted. Rediculous design. The briggs vangaurd twins and single cylinder engines had the drains in different (better) locations.

Joel

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #5  
I suck mine out of the dipstick hole. I have a Tempo Oil Boy (it's the only way to change the oil on my Honda PWC,). When I looked at the CC drain I could see big mess, so I just sucked it out.

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suck mine out of the dipstick hole. I have a Tempo Oil Boy (it's the only way to change the oil on my Honda PWC,). When I looked at the CC drain I could see big mess, so I just sucked it out. )</font>

Doesn't it taste horrible? Sorry - couldn't resist<g>

Bob B.

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #7  
Not if you have a Tempo Oil Boy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Eeek! That doesn't sound right either /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Joel

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change
Sorry I didn't respond sooner...you probably have your answer already...but my cc2554 is a 2005. The oil change procedure is not something I even thought about and frankly would not have been a major factor in my decision had I known of the "messy problem" to begin with. If you're still deciding...ask your dealer how the oil change works...it may indeed be different for the '06 model.

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change #9  
I've changed my oil a couple of times on my CC2166 now, and yeah, I will agree the position of the drain plug is an engineering marvel to say the least, however, I haven't found that it's all that messy. I went to true value and bought a 24" lg. piece of clear flex water tubing, which fits nicely over the oil drain spigot, and the oil drains into my oil pan without the big puddle. I know CC sends a tube along with the tractor, but maybe it's not flexible or long enough? I don't know, because mine didn't come with one. I guess my advice is, go get the longer piece of tubing that will come straight off of the spigot, then attach tube, turn spigot and go grab some coffee or something to ensure the oil completely drains out. As far as the oil filter, well I just hold a rag beneath the filter as I get it close to where the oil will drain out, keeps mess to a minimum.

IMHO, the really messy job is the hydro filter change, but some guys have said if you jack the front end of the tractor up before you spin the filter off, it can save a good amount of fluid. Wish I would've known that little tip before I did mine, would've not had to use almost a quart of hydro oil to replace what I lost.

/ 10 Hour Oil/Hydro Change
Mojoman...thanks for the input!
The drain hose I rec'd from CC was only about a foot long and not very flexible. I'll go buy something longer and more flexible before the next change.

Thanks again....