Default Cub 1863 PTO issue

My PTO is stuck on. When I flip the switch, I can hear a noise. But, the blades continue to run. The switch does have to be in the off position to start the tractor. BUt, the blades are engaged still. help!

Platinum Member

Default Re: Cub 1863 PTO issue

It sounds like the clutch plate is stuck. The clutch disc fits over a splined shaft and is supposed to be adjusted so that there is .020-.025 inch clearance at all points when the PTO is disengaged. Perhaps the clearance is excessive and the disc is cocked or possibly the splines are rusty causing it to stick.

Bob B.

Thanks Bob. I will check it out and report back.

I can spin the clutch by hand, but it sounds like the motor is also turning. So, do you think the bearings might be siezed?

Platinum Member

You need to check the clearance, as I suggested, and see if the clutch disk is free. You should be able to wiggle the disk slightly if it's not bound to the shaft or adjusted too tight. You may have to remove the PTO clutch assembly to see what the problem is or take it to a dealer if you're not confortable doing that type of work yourself.

Bob B.

Thanks Bob.

It looks like, if I remove the bolt in the center of the pulley, I will be able to see the clutch disc. I wish I had a diagram of the assembly so I could really see how it's assembled. Does anyone know where I can get one?