LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #1  

05tundra

LT 1046 won\'t start. Less than 1 year old

Bought an LT 1046 in Sept 2005. Cut grass with it twice before winter. In Jan 2006, I had trouble starting it and a week later it would not start at all. Ran the battery completely dead. First time I brought it to the dealer, they said a valve in the carb may be beginning to stick. I put stabil in after that. The last time it didn't start at all, I brought if to the dealership and it took them 16 days before they could look at (I wasn't happy). However, when I picked it up at the dealership, it started right up. They said they could charge me $25 for cleaning the carb. I told them it was absurd when they said a carb cleaning was not covered under warranty. I have two questions: What could be the problem and how do I contact cub cadet to tell them about my unpleasant experience at this dealership.

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #2  
Re: LT 1046 won\'t start. Less than 1 year old

Ok first off, contacting Cub, start with their website
Off their Customer Service link I found

Technical and Warranty Support Telephone: 1-330-273-8669
Cub Cadet LLC P.O. Box 368022 Cleveland, OH 44136
I found this info by searching through Cub's KnowledgeBase. You can get to that by clicking on the Customer Service link at the bottom of the web page http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/topcategory_10051_14101_-1

Every time I fill my gas cans I mix with Sta-Bil. It's a great product. I also rotate my fuel as well in the winter. I continue to use Sta-Bil but I also run fuel in those cans through my car and refill the cans every couple months. I also crank all of my small engines several times during the winter months and run them for a little while. It also helps on the Cub to charge the battery as well. I find that by doing this, things are much easier to start and operate when spring comes. Sure my neighbors look at me funny for cranking a weedeater in the middle of January and it being 30 degrees outside, but I don't have the engine problems they do when mowing season comes around.

If you are still having problems with your Cub and feel inclined to troubleshoot it yourself, let us know here. There are many knowledgable guys here that can help.

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old

Thanks for the info. I'm just a little upset that I had trouble starting my new cub cadet riding mower after letting it set up just a few short months. It may not be in the same category but I've had Honda three-wheelers and four-wheelers all my life and never have once added stabil or any other additive in the gasoline. After sitting up all summer, they fire right up (but thats Honda reliability).

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #4  

Letting gas sit over the winter will cause the gas to go bad. Better to run the tractor out of fuel and put in new gas in the Spring. Been there done that...............

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #5  

Warranties don't usually cover problems like improper storage. Stabil works, but I think the best is to drain out the gasoline and start fresh in the spring. I have also heard from some who say draining all the gasoline out and running the engine out of gasoline will cause carburator gaskets and o-rings to dry out, causing them to leak when new gas is added in the spring of the year. With the low quality gasoline we have these days, it seems a chance a person has to take. Gasoline gets old very quickly.

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have also heard from some who say draining all the gasoline out and running the engine out of gasoline will cause carburator gaskets and o-rings to dry out, causing them to leak when new gas is added in the spring of the year. )</font>

I've had this happen to a motorcycle and a weedeater. Since then I always fill the tank full, add Stabil, and then run it for a few minutes to get the Stabil into the carb. With a full tank of gas there is less room for condensation to form and foul out the gas or rust a steel tank. This topic is about as varied as what type of oil is the best. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ LT 1046 won't start. Less than 1 year old #7  

I stand corrected. Adding Stabil would be a better idea. Then add some good, fresh high octane in the Spring.