Problem with gt 2550

/ Problem with gt 2550 #1  

pingman137

Can someone help? When I pull the pto knob the mower goes dead. It takes about three tries to get the blades to work. I have had the mower for one year and it has 12 hours on the meter. I love the mower once I get the blades to turn. I have checked under the deck and it is very clean.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #2  
Are you giving it enough throttle? Run it up to at least half-throttle or so before engaging the blades. If it still stalls there must be a bind somewhere.

Bob B.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #3  
My GT 2544 needs to be warmed up (engine) quite a bit before I can engage the deck PTO.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can someone help? When I pull the pto knob the mower goes dead. It takes about three tries to get the blades to work. I have had the mower for one year and it has 12 hours on the meter. I love the mower once I get the blades to turn. I have checked under the deck and it is very clean. )</font>

Run it half choke at first then once the blades are up to speed, no choke...sounds like you havent warmed up the Kohler

/ Problem with gt 2550 #5  
Pingman 137...
I have a cc 2554...and use to have the same problem.
Now, upon start up, I engage the PTO while the choke is still engaged...once the blades start...I gradually push in the choke. No problems.
Incidentally, the day I picked up my 2554, I had the dealer get on it...start it...engage the PTO. It shut off on him three times when engaging the PTO. The forth time, he kept the choke open while engaging the PTO...it finally worked!
Hope this works in your situation.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #6  
I would complain to the dealer and engine manufacturer about problem. I am sure there is a cure for this. Needs a little more fuel. You may want to try spark plug change. Also try stepping up to next blend of fuel (ie 89 instead og 87 oct.) Kohler command 21 hp probably has no adjustments for carb. You may want to look at carb for an adjustment with a limiter cap on it. richen it if you can.

/ Problem with gt 2550
Thanks for the choke tip, it has solved the problem.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #8  
I have a cub cadet 2550 GT about 8 years old, but under 300 hours. It will start and run 10-30 seconds then dies. I'll park it for 2-3 days, then it will run fine for 1-2 hours, then starts the same thing again.
It has fresh gas, new gas filter. Thoughts?

/ Problem with gt 2550 #9  
Try loosening the gas cap when it's stalling. The vent could be plugged causing a vacuum. Other thoughts - plugged or deteriorated fuel line. Could have cracks causing it to suck air. Bad fuel pump.

Bob B.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #10  
Regarding 2550 GT dying. No, I run it at full throttle most of the time. It does it after it has warmed up. Will run for 15-20 minutes, then dies. After that, it will start, run 5-30 seconds, then die. After doing that a few times. It will start, run 1-2 seconds, then die. Again, filter is new. Gas is new. As far as dealer goes, it is well out-of-warranty, besides ... the guy (dealer) went out of business. We have an older 2135 that is 100x times BETTER machine than the 2550. Knohler engine in both of them. Could it be air lock? Or ... am I better off to just get a new fuel filter? Thanks