Which Club Cadet?

/ Which Club Cadet? #1  

Bobsacres

I have three gentle sloping acres and I'm considering replacing my old mower.
I've been looking at the GT2550 but my dealer who serviced my old mower keeps steering me towards the SLT1554. Most of the time I keep the grass at a good length but occasionally it gets away from me in a couple of small areas. I neither mulch or bag, just mow!
My worry is even though the SLT1554 has a 27hp engine, will the belt drive cope with a 54" deck, especially if the grass gets a little long on the odd occasion? I feel that the GT2550, even with a 22hp engine, would overall cope better due to the shaft drive.
This would be my first CC purchase and I want to get it right. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

/ Which Club Cadet? #2  
Bobsacres,

I've owned both belt and shaft driven transmission garden tractors. Personally, I prefer the shaft driven transmission. I feel that you have more torque for pushing and pulling with attachments. I see that there is a $1000.00 difference between the 1554 and 2550.

arthurb,

/ Which Club Cadet? #3  
Bob, the shaft drive on the 2500's are from engine to transmission only. The 2500's and the 1500's both have belt driven decks. So in that sense, both will perform roughly equal in terms of mowing tall grass.

However, the 2500's are heavier duty and have a superior engine. I would suggest going with the 2550 if price isn't much of a concern. If price IS a concern, then the 1554 will serve you well.

/ Which Club Cadet?
arthurb and CCinCT......thank you for your help.

/ Which Club Cadet? #5  
Bobsacres...

I wholeheartedly recommend the 2500 shaft drive series. I have a cc '05 2554 and pull several attachments with it.
The 2500 series has the shaft drive from engine to transmission. You would have to go to the 3000 series to get a shaft driven deck.
If all you're gonna do is mow, then the 1554 might meet your needs for awhile. I considered this particular machine because of the 27hp engine but after reading and doing more research, I came to the conclusion the 23hp Kohler Command plus the shaft drive was what I needed. I purchased my 2554 in Dec '05...have mowed several times (2 acre yard and a 3/4 acre yard, plowed a garden, scraped a couple gravel drive ways, and have not experienced any engine strain at all.
Good luck on your decision !!

/ Which Club Cadet?
cager

Thanks for the reply. I think the 2550 is probably the better machine for me with it being shaft drive and a little bit more sturdy etc.
I was curious why my dealer should be so pro the 1554 over the 2550, especially when the latter costs more!

/ Which Club Cadet?
I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but can anyone explain to me the term "guage" in relation to thickness of steel etc? Is 9-guage the same as .09 inch?

/ Which Club Cadet? #8  
7 Ga. = .1875
10 Ga. = .1345
11Ga. = .1196
12 Ga. = .1046
13 Ga. = .0897

So, 9 Ga., which isn't a standard gage, must be approximately .150ish. Hope that helps

/ Which Club Cadet?
Thanks FairportCub ........it does help!

/ Which Club Cadet? #10  
I've been looking at JD and cub cadet. The JD has hydraulic drive.Can anyone tell me if this means that more HP goes to the cutters with the JD, Vs. shaft drive, HP being equal?Thanks