Picked up a 2185 for my Dad

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad #1  

kcgriz

Tractor
Cub 2185
My dad's 6 yr old Craftsman with a 19hp B&S twin seized up and threw a rod yesterday. Got a few estimates as high as $2100 to install a new motor. Looks like it's headed for the scrap metal heap.

Made a call to a friend of mine that recently moved and his new yard is way to small for his CC 2185. Asked if he was interested in selling it and to shoot me a price. It's got a whopping 150hrs on it and comes with a triple bagger and a new set of blades. Looks brand spanking new and knowing him, he waxed it several times a year. He asked me if $1300 was too much and out of line. My reply was if he would take a check!

I bought my 2185 last year with no bagger and 225hrs on it for the same money and thought I got a heckuva deal then! What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone tried to move the seat further back than the factory makes the rails on the seat? My dad had both knees replaced and finds it a bit crowded to bend his right knee to work the brake. Any suggestions? Maybe an adapter plate to move the seat back a couple inches?

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad #2  
That's a great deal for a clean 2185. Can't beat the vanguard twin. No way to make more room behind the wheel unless you want to fab something yourself. IMO- it's still too tight behind the wheel of my 2544, and that's supposedly with 'increase' room. I havent sat on a 2006, but that would be an advantage of a 2006 if they are roomier.

Joel

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can't beat the vanguard twin. )</font>

They both have the Command series twin cyl. Kohler. Any noteable difference with the Vangaurd?

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad #4  
You may be able to redo the brake pedal. Heat it up and bend it to a better position. Or cut it and weld it in proper position so knees do not need to bend as much. I thought about redoing my brake pedal as it seems high to use.

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad #5  
You can pick up a new engine at northern for the following; 18 hp vanguard = $1199.00; 18hp tecumseh for $750.00 or a Kohler Courage 18 hp for $769.00. Still a lot of money but lower than your quote of $2100.00.

/ Picked up a 2185 for my Dad #6  
The Vanguard is like butta... starting up it sounds like a harley at first, but its super smooth. I had a Kohler before that was so loud. I've been very impressed with the Vanguard, I have 108 hours on it. Just started running synthetic in it now that its broken in. I plan on keeping this one a long time. I've also been surprised at my fuel consumption. For a vtwin, it really doesn't use a lot of fuel. It did when new, but since its broken in, I use less fuel than I was.