Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #1  

niteshift

I have been looking at both the Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt 50" ZTR mowers. I'll be mowing about 1 acre. I'm a first time buyer and don't know much about either one! They are both $2999. The Cub has a 22HP Kawasaki Twin-Cylinder, and the Troy Bilt has a 23HP Briggs & Stratton. Any suggestions on which way to go (or not to go)? Please help...I need to do something soon!

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #2  
I wouldn't worry much about a 1HP difference; actually if that is the Kaw I'm thinking of it'll likely out-torque the Briggs.

Parts may be easier to find on the Briggs; you may want to ask the dealer about that. Also, Briggs builds several grades of engines [Kaw might too, I've only had one, but so far am quite happy], but any of them should be fine on that machine.

As for the rest of the mower, I think you only need to decide between red or yellow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #3  
You could just about flip a coin on that one! Myself, personal preference only, would be the Kwacker engine in the Cub over the Briggs.

JD and other manufacturers were under contracts with Kawasaki to supply small engines to them in order to keep them out of the L/G equipment market. Now Honda is stepping out of that equipment market also to be an exclusive engine supplier to major USA name equipment makers, starting with Toro, and I'm sure others will follow. Kohler and Briggs make good engines, yet these Honda and Kawi's are phenominal, their years of motorcycle heritage fits in to the smoothness of operation and quality/longevity small engine equipment owners want in their engines. Many of the Kawi-Honda engines are USA made, so it's not a WWII issue anymore, you are keeping our workers employed with whatever you buy. Just like how I tell HD motorcycle owners about the parts of their bikes supplied by Bosch, Showa, and Mikuni that keep people overseas and in the USA employed /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #4  
I would go with the Cub for two reasons. The first is that the Kaw. is a much better motor than the Briggs. Secondly there will be more Cub dealers around for parts and stuff.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #5  
Yep, parts are service will be easier to get with the CC. The kawi 17hp single was a sweet engine on our John Deere GT262.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #6  
From the MTD website:
"The MTD family of brands includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold."
I can only tell you that I bought a Troy Bilt Mustang 50 inch Z turn with 25 HP Kohler.
2 months later the bolt holding the electric blade clutch to the crank snapped, leaving the clutch hanging by the wires. 5 weeks after taking it to an authorized repair shop, I'm finally picking it up. The shop claims to be having quite the time trying to get replacement parts from MTD and that it's been that way all summer.
If they're being honest with me, that's something to consider in your purchase decision.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #7  
On a different note! The Kawi probably costs at least 100 more on the wholesale level!

Kawi's produce more torque! That means that the same horsepower Kawi will feel like you got a couple extra!

Kawi's burn less fuel then the briggs.

Kawi's have longer life!

Just some notes from some commercial mowers that shop with us!

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #8  
Any suggestions on which way to go (or not to go)? Please help...I need to do something soon!

I recently bought the Cub Cadet ZTR50 w/ the 22HP Kawasaki and have been very pleased so far! Engine starts and runs great! :thumbsup:

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #9  
I would go with the Cub. That has been a hot seller and have had very very few issues with the whole mower. We have not sold one of the Troy Bilts so I can't tell you good or bad on it. I like the Kawi engine on the cub as well.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt #10  
Choosing between the 2 ourselves...
I have been looking at both the Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt 50" ZTR mowers. I'll be mowing about 1 acre. I'm a first time buyer and don't know much about either one! They are both $2999. The Cub has a 22HP Kawasaki Twin-Cylinder, and the Troy Bilt has a 23HP Briggs & Stratton. Any suggestions on which way to go (or not to go)? Please help...I need to do something soon!