Onan 140 no spark

/ Onan 140 no spark #1  

Zoombah

Bronze Member
Was mowing around my garden this past weekend and my Cub with Onan 140 engine simply quit running. I did determine that it has no spark. Where should I start in determining what the problem is?

/ Onan 140 no spark #2  
I am not sure of your setup but many systems ground out the ignition to shut them off. Follow all wires from ignition switch and trace each one to make sure none are grounded out ( melted rubbed etc). One wire will go to ground; disconnect it and try to start it. Also make sure all safety switches are working ok ( seat switch, pto switch etc. )Those all ground out ignition. Since it happened suddenly it could be a safety switch or a wire rubbed through or melted. Could be a coil or depending on age, points or a condenser.

/ Onan 140 no spark #3  
I read on a generator forum that those Cummins/Onan 140's have a terrible ignition system that is easily prone to failure. If it is a problem with the ignition components rather than a safety switch (I think the 140 has an electronic type ignition) I would locate and get the parts ASAP to get it going, as Onan/Linamar is no longer making small gasoline engines and failure prone parts are going to disappear fast for the older engines.
-Fordlords-