New Cub Cadet owner!

/ New Cub Cadet owner! #1  

MetaPhaze

Well pretty excited today. I was able to *legally* pick up a Cub Cadet Model 1863 with 48in mower deck, snow plow, 75lb wheel weights, and tire chains.

It wasn't running at first, needed a new battery, needed some starter fluid sprayed in the carb and I got it running. Runs great now! Changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I looked at the Hytrans oil filter and its due for a change for sometime now. It has 580hrs on it and the filter says it was last changed at 311hrs.

I know I did good because any running tractor is a good deal, but I don't think I fully appreciate what I have here.

/ New Cub Cadet owner!
Well pretty excited today. I was able to *legally* pick up a Cub Cadet Model 1863 with 48in mower deck, snow plow, 75lb wheel weights, and tire chains.

It wasn't running at first, needed a new battery, needed some starter fluid sprayed in the carb and I got it running. Runs great now! Changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I looked at the Hytrans oil filter and its due for a change for sometime now. It has 580hrs on it and the filter says it was last changed at 311hrs.

I know I did good because any running tractor is a good deal, but I don't think I fully appreciate what I have here.

/ New Cub Cadet owner!
Some other help I could use.

When I run the tractor it seems to get unusually hot, or so it seems to me.

I hear a "clicking" noise near the engine can not tell if its top or bottom part when I shut the engine off after its been running.

How do I clean the inside of the tractor? It is quite dirty, lots of dirt, grease, and grass.

Where do I check the Hytran fluid at?

How often should the Hytran fluid be changed?

Does anyone have a picture of the engine compartment of a Model 1863? I think I may be missing some non critical parts.

Is this model equipped with a "muffler" at the end of the exhaust pipe or is it just the muffle there is covered by the cooling fins?

Is it normal to hear like a "straining" noise when lifting the mower deck or dropping the mower deck when it hits its limit?

/ New Cub Cadet owner!
Some other help I could use.

When I run the tractor it seems to get unusually hot, or so it seems to me.

I hear a "clicking" noise near the engine can not tell if its top or bottom part when I shut the engine off after its been running.

How do I clean the inside of the tractor? It is quite dirty, lots of dirt, grease, and grass.

Where do I check the Hytran fluid at?

How often should the Hytran fluid be changed?

Does anyone have a picture of the engine compartment of a Model 1863? I think I may be missing some non critical parts.

Is this model equipped with a "muffler" at the end of the exhaust pipe or is it just the muffle there is covered by the cooling fins?

Is it normal to hear like a "straining" noise when lifting the mower deck or dropping the mower deck when it hits its limit?

/ New Cub Cadet owner! #5  
Inside of 1863 engine bay:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/2d/59/0a_12.JPG

Best thing I have found to clean the insides up is compressed air, and a rag with some light solvent to remove grease.

I know very little about the 1863 other than it's a Kohler Command 18 V twin. The two cylinders should have small pipes that enter into a large muffler, with a small exhaust pipe that exits out the front grille of the tractor.

Hytran is generally checked by removing the fill plug on the rear cover, and it should be filled to the top of that plug. Some of the newer hydros have dipsticks though. Change intervals vary greatly, but I would change it at least every 250 hours or more often if a sample pulled from the plug looks dirty.

I have no idea what the clicking noise is you are hearing, it could range between nothing or something serious, I would definitely check it out. As far as it running hot, if the cooling fins are clear and all the shrouds are in place (shrouds could be some of the missing parts, and they are important) and the oil is ok and carb isn't running lean, it should be running at normal temp. I kind of suspect the previous owner was having a problem or concern about the clicking noise and started to take things apart and did not put them all back on.

I don't know if the noise with the deck is common to that model, but I suspect not- with any used tractor, it is best to go over everything before using it. A tractor with 580 hours will commonly have some minor issues to address.

-Fordlords-

/ New Cub Cadet owner! #6  
Inside of 1863 engine bay:

Best thing I have found to clean the insides up is compressed air, and a rag with some light solvent to remove grease.

I know very little about the 1863 other than it's a Kohler Command 18 V twin. The two cylinders should have small pipes that enter into a large muffler, with a small exhaust pipe that exits out the front grille of the tractor.

Hytran is generally checked by removing the fill plug on the rear cover, and it should be filled to the top of that plug. Some of the newer hydros have dipsticks though. Change intervals vary greatly, but I would change it at least every 250 hours or more often if a sample pulled from the plug looks dirty.

I have no idea what the clicking noise is you are hearing, it could range between nothing or something serious, I would definitely check it out. As far as it running hot, if the cooling fins are clear and all the shrouds are in place (shrouds could be some of the missing parts, and they are important) and the oil is ok and carb isn't running lean, it should be running at normal temp. I kind of suspect the previous owner was having a problem or concern about the clicking noise and started to take things apart and did not put them all back on.

I don't know if the noise with the deck is common to that model, but I suspect not- with any used tractor, it is best to go over everything before using it. A tractor with 580 hours will commonly have some minor issues to address.

-Fordlords-

/ New Cub Cadet owner!
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Inside of 1863 engine bay:

-Fordlords-

)</font>

Fordlords you have been a great deal of help!

The clicking noise sounds kinda like a ticking noise, hard to explain unless you heard it. It only happens once the tractor has warmed up and then shutoff. The noise happens for approximately 30 seconds.

Cooling fins look good, just need to be cleaned and the motor runs great so I guess everything is in good order.

I looked at the pic and I am not missing any parts! The previous owner was my Mother and Father and I know they wouldn't dare take it a part /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ New Cub Cadet owner!
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Inside of 1863 engine bay:

-Fordlords-

)</font>

Fordlords you have been a great deal of help!

The clicking noise sounds kinda like a ticking noise, hard to explain unless you heard it. It only happens once the tractor has warmed up and then shutoff. The noise happens for approximately 30 seconds.

Cooling fins look good, just need to be cleaned and the motor runs great so I guess everything is in good order.

I looked at the pic and I am not missing any parts! The previous owner was my Mother and Father and I know they wouldn't dare take it a part /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ New Cub Cadet owner! #9  
Always good to know the previous owner(s) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Generally a ticking noise that is not external will be in the engine's valvetrain. Kohler OHV engines have hydraulic lash (play) adjusters that are supposed to keep the valvetrain set at zero lash under all circumstances. If you don't hear any ticking while its running by listening over the engine's rocker arm covers up top, I would not be too concerned. I don't know about Kohler, but Honda OHV's along with hydraulic lash adjusters have manual set screws that can be adjusted if the valvetrain wears beyond the range of the hydraulic lash adjuster- the Command could have the same things but I don't know for sure. But what might be happening is after the engine is warm the valvetrain is is fully expanded, and when you shut the engine off the oil pressure drops as it slows and the valvetrain gets some lash you can hear.

I would invest an a Kohler service manual for your engine to check it out, or have a shop take a listen to it. It's probably not a big problem now, but it can become worse.

-Fordlords-

/ New Cub Cadet owner! #10  
Always good to know the previous owner(s) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Generally a ticking noise that is not external will be in the engine's valvetrain. Kohler OHV engines have hydraulic lash (play) adjusters that are supposed to keep the valvetrain set at zero lash under all circumstances. If you don't hear any ticking while its running by listening over the engine's rocker arm covers up top, I would not be too concerned. I don't know about Kohler, but Honda OHV's along with hydraulic lash adjusters have manual set screws that can be adjusted if the valvetrain wears beyond the range of the hydraulic lash adjuster- the Command could have the same things but I don't know for sure. But what might be happening is after the engine is warm the valvetrain is is fully expanded, and when you shut the engine off the oil pressure drops as it slows and the valvetrain gets some lash you can hear.

I would invest an a Kohler service manual for your engine to check it out, or have a shop take a listen to it. It's probably not a big problem now, but it can become worse.

-Fordlords-