1050 with 50" mower problem

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #1  

dqdave1

Veteran Member
Tractor
tc- 29d
1050 with 50\" mower problem

My 1050 with 50" mower has never cut properly. It leaves an uncut area from the center blade. I mow on 4 or 5 and even by going very slowly it does it. To get a nice job, you have to double cut the lawn. It came with a triple bagger. When I received it, the dealer had installed two high lift blades as per the bagger instructions. ( on outer blades). After all the problems cub had the dealer install a high lift blade in the center position. No help. Belts are routed correctly ( double checked); blades are sharp, spindles rotate freely, deck is adjusted properly ( 1/4 lower in front) I believe the center pulley does not get enough of the belt around it to keep from slipping. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem
1050 with 50\" mower problem

My 1050 with 50" mower has never cut properly. It leaves an uncut area from the center blade. I mow on 4 or 5 and even by going very slowly it does it. To get a nice job, you have to double cut the lawn. It came with a triple bagger. When I received it, the dealer had installed two high lift blades as per the bagger instructions. ( on outer blades). After all the problems cub had the dealer install a high lift blade in the center position. No help. Belts are routed correctly ( double checked); blades are sharp, spindles rotate freely, deck is adjusted properly ( 1/4 lower in front) I believe the center pulley does not get enough of the belt around it to keep from slipping. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #3  
Re: 1050 with 50\" mower problem

Check the belt tensioner that's on the deck itself. On mine (cc2042) the tensioner was a poor design, IMHO. It's a pivot point on a bolt, and the tighter the bolt, the more force it takes to move it.

Mine was leaving uncut strips of grass (2 blades, not 3), even with it at full throttle and mowing slow. One day I noticed that when I lowered the deck to 3 instead of 4 or 5 where I usually cut, I could hear the blades spin up faster. Hmmmm... That's odd, I thought.

I lowered the deck clear to 1 (blades off) and raised it up to 5. The belt was floppy loose, but if I pushed on the arm carrying the idler pulley, the belt got tight. I pulled the deck and greased the pivot point and put the bolt back in a little looser than it was. No problems since.

This may not be the same problem you're having, but it's a place to start.

Good Luck!
-Rhoderman

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #4  

Check the belt tensioner that's on the deck itself. On mine (cc2042) the tensioner was a poor design, IMHO. It's a pivot point on a bolt, and the tighter the bolt, the more force it takes to move it.

Mine was leaving uncut strips of grass (2 blades, not 3), even with it at full throttle and mowing slow. One day I noticed that when I lowered the deck to 3 instead of 4 or 5 where I usually cut, I could hear the blades spin up faster. Hmmmm... That's odd, I thought.

I lowered the deck clear to 1 (blades off) and raised it up to 5. The belt was floppy loose, but if I pushed on the arm carrying the idler pulley, the belt got tight. I pulled the deck and greased the pivot point and put the bolt back in a little looser than it was. No problems since.

This may not be the same problem you're having, but it's a place to start.

Good Luck!
-Rhoderman

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #5  

I've got a 2006 1050 and it cuts really well. I'm in the UK cutting 4 acres of strong growing wet grass and i cut on the lowest setting number 1, i cut at full forward speed and the standard of cut is excellent so the machine is capable of cutting well. I have the triple bagger (althuogh i do not normally have it fitted) and have the high lift blades on the outer two and standard on the middle one. Only initial problem i had was fitting the triple baggerblades. The mower spindles were serated but the replacement high lift blades had plain holes but they sent me some of the correct blades with serated holes to suit the spindles and all was well. I do not know what is wrong with yours that is stopping the centre blade working well but keep looking as the deck if working properly is capable of working hard and cutting neat. Does the spindle spin freely without the belt fitted?

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #6  

I've got a 2006 1050 and it cuts really well. I'm in the UK cutting 4 acres of strong growing wet grass and i cut on the lowest setting number 1, i cut at full forward speed and the standard of cut is excellent so the machine is capable of cutting well. I have the triple bagger (althuogh i do not normally have it fitted) and have the high lift blades on the outer two and standard on the middle one. Only initial problem i had was fitting the triple baggerblades. The mower spindles were serated but the replacement high lift blades had plain holes but they sent me some of the correct blades with serated holes to suit the spindles and all was well. I do not know what is wrong with yours that is stopping the centre blade working well but keep looking as the deck if working properly is capable of working hard and cutting neat. Does the spindle spin freely without the belt fitted?

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #7  

Dave, if you reach under and spin the center blade by hand, can you spin it easy? You shouldn't be able to overcome the belt tension easily. I dunno if throwing a hi lift in that position is the answer. Could the center spindle be higher than the rest? Also- keep the deck slightly nose down. Nose up will leave a center strip on a 3-blade. I'd nose her down a bit more & see. Be sure to not let that deck bounce around against the ground. Set her so the gauge wheels rarely hit.

G/luck
Joel

/ 1050 with 50" mower problem #8  

Dave, if you reach under and spin the center blade by hand, can you spin it easy? You shouldn't be able to overcome the belt tension easily. I dunno if throwing a hi lift in that position is the answer. Could the center spindle be higher than the rest? Also- keep the deck slightly nose down. Nose up will leave a center strip on a 3-blade. I'd nose her down a bit more & see. Be sure to not let that deck bounce around against the ground. Set her so the gauge wheels rarely hit.

G/luck
Joel

Thanks for the responses. I will again go over everything told to me here. I had ajusted the deck useing the deck. I have a feeling I should have used the blades as a reference point. Will do that tomorrow. Will check idler pulley to make sure it is free. Let you know as soon as I can do adjustments and test it out AGAIN.

Thanks for the responses. I will again go over everything told to me here. I had ajusted the deck useing the deck. I have a feeling I should have used the blades as a reference point. Will do that tomorrow. Will check idler pulley to make sure it is free. Let you know as soon as I can do adjustments and test it out AGAIN.