LT 1045 Two Cylinder???

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #1  

jim123

I just got a LT1045 from Home Depot. There were two LT1045 models in the store. One LT1045 had a single cyclinder 20 HP Kohler motor, and one LT1045 had a two cylinder 20 HP Kohler motor. I, of course, got the two cyclinder LT1045. The "extremely knowledgeable" HD sales people had no clue were the two cylinder LT1045 came from, and I can't find any reference to any two cylinder LT1045s online. Does anybody know anything about LT1045s with a two cylinder 20 HP Kohler and why there is no information about them online? Is this next years tractor?

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #2  
The LT1046 is twin cylinders. Sounds like someone placed the wrong hood on during assembly. Take the engine model #, spec# and serial number to a Cub Dealer. You will probably find you have a 1046 badged as a 1045.

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #3  
Thats incorrect. Kohler couldn't keep up with the demand need of the 20hp single cylinder Kohler for the LT1045. Because of this they started supplying Cub with the twin cylinder, you have an LT1045LE (limited edition). I ordered all these I could when this happened becuase they sell for $100.00 less than the LT1046 but is basically the exact same machine...an LT1045LE is the best deal in the Cub 1000 series line-up right now.

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #4  
I also understand that production of the twins stopped at the end of May as Kohler now can supply enough singles.

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #5  
The LT1045LE's might become the hopped up Yenko Camaros or Boss 429 Mustangs of LT's....better hang on to those babies, and no putting headers on them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Useless un-funny post, but thread does show the production pressures manufacturers make on suppliers, and the deals that can be made to satisfy production needs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
-Fordlords-

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #6  
I'm curious, what are the differences between the 1045LE twin and the 1046 twin? I'm assuming they are both Courage engines. Basically what makes the 3HP difference? Did Kohler just supply the 1046 engines with a different carb or muffler to get less HP and then stick it in the 1045? Or is it a completely different engine?

The only place I have seen 1046s was at a Cub Dealer, apparently Home Depot and TSC only sell 1045s and 1050s.

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #7  
Same sort of question came up on another thread. The 20-27 HP Kohler Courage engines all have the exact same 725cc cylinder displacement and the same 9:1 compression ratios. Things that might give the power differences can be carburetors, intakes, exhausts, cams, flywheel weight, etc, but they are all essentially the same engine. This does not look to be uncommon among small engine manufacturers, having many engines in the same lineup of same displacement with different HP ratings.

-Fordlords-

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #8  
OK that's about what I thought. Since I have an 05 Command in my 1046 I was looking at some of the 25HP commands in the larger cubs and I couldn't tell any difference from the outside.

I can just see somebody now trying to up the HP on their 1042 by swapping parts! Trying to go for the speed of that mower that Denny Hamlin is on in that NASCAR commercial. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #9  
It is very likely the parts needed to up the HP on these engines to their max are things that a hot rodder could easily do. I'm trying to figure out on the Honda lineup what gives the 20 HP GX620 2 more HP and 1 additional ft/lb of torque over the 18 HP GX610 that I have- every listed item the two have look to be totally identical- every outside dimension, displacement, comp ratio, weight, etc. The GX620 looks to have a much more linear power curve over the 610, which is leading me to believe the only possible difference in this case could be the carburetor/intake or the grind on the cam. Listed HP on the Honda engines and that of other makers is done without an exhaust system in place. If I get creative some day I'll start looking up and comparing part numbers to see exactly which parts are different to make the HP gain.

-Fordlords-

/ LT 1045 Two Cylinder??? #10  
OK, the suspense was killing me, I had to know what the gimmick is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I compared the part numbers between Kohler's Courage 23 and Courage 27 twin cylinder engines on anything that could make a HP difference- crank, flywheel, cam, intake, heads, carb, etc. The ONLY difference? The carburetors! For a mere $157 you can turn a Courage 23 into a 27. And it's a direct bolt-on, even the intake manifolds are the same. I have to admit this was VERY interesting /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-Fordlords-