Oil Light is on and it will not start

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #1  

Vernonator

Bronze Member
Tractor
'04 Cub Cadet GT 3235
I have an '05 GT 3235 that died on me last night. It was running fine (I had just mowed 1 acre and sprayed 2). I was washing out the underside of the deck (with it running) when it just died.

Now the oil light is on and when I turn the ignition I get nothing. If I turn the key on I hear a clicking in the dash like a relay opening/closing. I HAVE verified that the oil level is fine. I think the "Low Oil Protection" circuit may have popped - any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

GT 3235 w/54" Deck

Last edited:
   / Oil Light is on and it will not start #2  
I'm going to take a guess that some water spray got up into the electricals and shorted one of the protection circuits. I'm surprised that once everything dried it did not restart. If the low oil light is on, that is where the trouble lies, it will keep the engine from starting. The oil level switch contacts should be able to be jumpered across to see if the switch is at fault.

-Fordlords-

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #3  
The oil light should go on with the ignition live and engine not running. I'd check the brake safety switch. The brake must be on for the starter to see power, PTO must be off.

G/luck
Joel

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #4  
Vernonator said:
I have an '05 GT 3235 that died on me last night. It was running fine (I had just mowed 1 acre and sprayed 2). I was washing out the underside of the deck (with it running) when it just died.

Now the oil light is on and when I turn the ignition I get nothing. If I turn the key on I hear a clicking in the dash like a relay opening/closing. I HAVE verified that the oil level is fine. I think the "Low Oil Protection" circuit may have popped - any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

GT 3235 w/54" Deck

Mark- the clicking you're hearing isn't a relay, its your hour meter most likely. You mustta got jiggy with the hose and sprayed some electrical connection, ignition solenoid or something- seat switch maybe??? By now, I'm sure its running, but make sure all the wires are connected. When mine wouldn't start I took it to the dealer, a wire worked loose from the ignition... I was pretty aggressive with the hose.

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start
MrWiggles2 said:
Mark- the clicking you're hearing isn't a relay, its your hour meter most likely. You mustta got jiggy with the hose and sprayed some electrical connection, ignition solenoid or something- seat switch maybe??? By now, I'm sure its running, but make sure all the wires are connected. When mine wouldn't start I took it to the dealer, a wire worked loose from the ignition... I was pretty aggressive with the hose.

That makes sense (the hour meter) I have not got it running - but it was sitting outside over the weekend and I was gone Sat and it was rainy Sun. I am going to get under it tonight (if it still wont start) and see if any thing is wet/disconnected. I didn't think I was THAT aggressive with the water, in fact I was doing the underside of the deck when it died....

Thanks for all the suggestions...hopefully I can get it going tonight. If not my dealer wants to charge me $75/hr + .75/mile to come get it, and he probably cant get to it for at least a week.....

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #6  
I know this may sound too simple but are you sure the clicking your hearing isn't the starter solenoid clicking from dirty or poor battery connections.

OldMachinist said:
I know this may sound too simple but are you sure the clicking your hearing isn't the starter solenoid clicking from dirty or poor battery connections.

I doubt it, the more I think about it the more I am in agreement that it is the hour-meter. It stopped when I disconnected the lead to the dash. BUT I will check out the battery terminals just in case.

The confusing part is that it was running full throttle with the PTO engaged when it died - as I was spraying the underside of the deck.

I will take a look at the brake and seat switches tonight and report back in the AM.

Thanks All!!!!

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #8  
Vernonator said:
I doubt it, the more I think about it the more I am in agreement that it is the hour-meter. It stopped when I disconnected the lead to the dash. BUT I will check out the battery terminals just in case.

The confusing part is that it was running full throttle with the PTO engaged when it died - as I was spraying the underside of the deck.

I will take a look at the brake and seat switches tonight and report back in the AM.

Thanks All!!!!

You might check again that the PTO is now disengaged. (JTKub mentioned this above.) I've done this on mine. Tried starting it with the PTO engaged and nothing happens. Bypassed the whole system with jumper cables from the battery to the starter. It starts right up then. The secret is cycle the PTO a couple times to make sure it's disengaged.

/ Oil Light is on and it will not start #9  
Vernonator, any updates? What hour meter makes a *click* noise, the older analog one? The newer digital meter on my 2544 is silent.

Joel

Okay....well JTKub is a genius, I popped the PTO on and off twice and poof it started right up. Must have ingested a bit of water while I was hosing it down and died. Then the PTO must not have disengaged while it was not running.

FYI - yes its an analog hour meter (its an '05) and it does click every 6 seconds.

Thanks for all the help guys....I can't believe it was just that the PTO was not fully dis-engaged!!! (DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mark