problems with my 54" deck

/ problems with my 54" deck #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
unless i lower it to a very low setting it sits unlevel. with the right(sitting on tractor) setting higher than the left. i also dont exactly understand how much contact the caster wheels should contact the ground. should the deck ride on the gage wheels and casters? or should they only occasionally touch to prevent scalping? my casters seem to bounce around violently on anything other than the smoothest ground. i am afraid i am wearing out the casters and gage wheels. simply put, i am unsure exactly how this deck is designed to work. sorry for so many questions but i am lost.

/ problems with my 54" deck
anybody?

/ problems with my 54" deck #3  
Have you had your dealer look at it?

/ problems with my 54" deck #4  
I don't have a 54" deck, but my 46" instructions say to level the deck by turning the blades to the outsides of the deck and get them the same distance from a level surface. I seem to get a level cut this way. I believe the deck wheels are to help prevent scalping and should not support the load of the deck all the time. If your deck has true castor wheels maybe they are disigned to run on the ground, but mine are supported by a shaft and will not pivot on turns.

/ problems with my 54" deck
the deck on the 3k series has true casters(at least on my 54") and they pivot when turning. it also has near full length rollers front and rear.

/ problems with my 54" deck #6  
jmt1271 said:
unless i lower it to a very low setting it sits unlevel. with the right(sitting on tractor) setting higher than the left. i also dont exactly understand how much contact the caster wheels should contact the ground. should the deck ride on the gage wheels and casters? or should they only occasionally touch to prevent scalping? my casters seem to bounce around violently on anything other than the smoothest ground. i am afraid i am wearing out the casters and gage wheels. simply put, i am unsure exactly how this deck is designed to work. sorry for so many questions but i am lost.
I have a 1863 cub cadet and a 54" deck. The manual says the casters & gage wheels are always used to set the height.In other words always in contact with the ground. I found when doing this it cuts great.always even.Yes they bounce around and make a lot of noise but I have only replaced em once, and the cut is worth it.I also have Gator mulching blades on it,and have been very happy with them.

/ problems with my 54" deck #7  
The 54 inch deck is made to mow in either "ground following" mode where the wheels rest on the ground and determine the cutting height or it can cut suspended from the tractor, where the height knob on the tractor sets the heighth. I personally use the ground following mode on my 54 inch deck since it seems to give a smoother cut on my uneven lawn.

Bob B.

/ problems with my 54" deck #8  
Bob_Bainbridge said:
The 54 inch deck is made to mow in either "ground following" mode where the wheels rest on the ground and determine the cutting height or it can cut suspended from the tractor, where the height knob on the tractor sets the heighth. I personally use the ground following mode on my 54 inch deck since it seems to give a smoother cut on my uneven lawn.

Bob B.

Don't what deck you have, but the 2554 deck *really* gives a nice cut when run as a ground follower.

/ problems with my 54" deck #9  
You may want to check tire pressure too. If your tires are not inflated to to proper pressure that can have an impact also.