Sheared bolt

/ Sheared bolt #1  

1BeachBum

I read an earlier thread about the middle blade spindle not taking grease on a Z-Force 50. I've got a Z-Force 44 with the same problem. I was removing the four 1/2" bolts that hold the spindle to the deck when one sheared off flush with the top of the spindle. Any ideas on how to remove what's left of that bolt still inside the spindle? Thanks.

/ Sheared bolt #2  
To remove a broken bolt you need a screw extractor and the proper drill size for the extractor. First you drill a hole as close to centered as possible and then use the extractor to back the bolt out. Some penetrating oil and a little bit of heat from a propane torch should make it come out easier.

Now back to the greasing problem. You didn't need to take the spindle off if you have the same problem that I descibed about my Z-Force 50 not greasing. The problem is in the large bolt that runs though the spindle that the blade attaches to. After you remove the blade the bolt should just slide up and out of the spindle. Be sure to note the order of pulleys and spacers first. After you have the bolt out look at where the cross hole is that the grease is suppose to pass though. To grease right it should be located far enough down so the grease can is deposited between the bearings. The hole in mine was blocked by the hub on the pulley.

Let me know if you need more info.

/ Sheared bolt
Well, I tried the screw extractor to no avail. Ended up drilling out the hole and re-tapping it to the original thread. The hole in the spindle bolt isn't blocked by the pulley. With the blade off the spindle assembly and everything else in place, giving a little spacing, it'll take grease. But as soon as I put the blade in place and tighten the blade nut I'm back to square one, won't take grease. And I can't find anything blocking grease from flowing from the zerk into the bearings. I'd originally planned to take the entire spindle assembly to my cub dealer, the reason why I removed it from the deck in the first place, and I guess I'll do just that tomorrow. I hate being done in by something that appears so simple. Must be the reason why the real mechanics get the big bucks.