Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch....

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #1  

gCracker

ok, so it was the first time mowing my new yard(about 3rd time overall with this mower). I got a little to close to the edge and slid in. I got thrown out of the seat which shut the mower off. We then towed the mower back to flat ground, but now it will not start, won't even click or turn over. I have checked the fuse and it looks fine, I have disconnected the battery for a bit, and disconnected/reseated the seat sensor a few times, but still nothing happens. What should I do now?(besides learn my lesson to stay away from the ditch)

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #2  
First check the safety switches. Is the blade switch or lever in the off position? Then of course there's the seat switch and the Brake pedal switch. sounds like something got thrown out of position. maybe even a wire got pulled off.Do the lights work?
let us know!

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch....
mark1 said:
First check the safety switches. Is the blade switch or lever in the off position? Then of course there's the seat switch and the Brake pedal switch. sounds like something got thrown out of position. maybe even a wire got pulled off.Do the lights work?
let us know!

yes, I have checked all of the switches they are in the correct position. There are no lights to check. I do not see any loose wires. When I turn the key to on and pull up the pto engage switch I hear a relay or something move, so I know the battery has juice.

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #4  
SInce the tractor went into the ditch the most likely cause is a wire or switch underneath the tractor (of course Murphy's Law sometimes defies logic). You can jumper the battery to the small terminal on the starter solenoid to bypass the ignition switch and all interlocks. MAKE SURE IT'S NOT IN GEAR.

Bob B.

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #5  
Are you SURE the PTO switch is COMPLETELY off. On my 1870 you have to pull that switch out a little to completely turn it off.

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #6  
There are five switches in the interlock circuit on the Z. None of the wires are under the unit. You have a neutral switch for each steering lever, parking brake, PTO and seat switch. The seat switch can be bypassed by removing the plug and pushing the small plunger in the plug until it clicks in to place. Be gentle if you push too hard you'll push the spring out the back of the plug. Leave it disconnected and try to start the motor. If this doesn't work push the plunger back and reconnect the plug. The rest the switches require you to remove the sheet metal panels on ether side to check them. But you can do a little checking first by listening for a click when you engage them. Also you didn't say how hard you went in to the ditch. If you went in hard one of the plugs could have come off one of the switches or you could have knocked one out of position. Look to see if you see the plunger for each neutral switch where the steering levers go in the slot. Let me know if you need to know how to check the switches under the sheet metal panels.

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #7  
Well I had a chance to look at the wiring diagram tonight and I was wrong in my previous reply. The seat switch isn't in the starter solenoid interlock circuit. I went out and checked my Z and it will turn over with the seat empty.

/ Z-Force 50 won't start after putting in ditch.... #8  
Change:
I have an 1872 and not an 1870

I am going to try to dig into it this weekend. I left the key on for 2 days and I think I drained the battery.

I dug into it last night and was able to trace the power all the way through the safety switches. I also found out that the mower should still be under the 2 year warranty so I need to call a dealer to see what to do next.