Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Covering Tractor Outside

    As you guys have seen, my 1864 is an 11 year old "survivor" with only 134 hours on it and little, if any, rust, wear or tear on it. It's about 95% showroom condition.

    It is like that because after it was bought in '95, it was only used 2 years and then stored in a temperature/climate controlled garage until last month when it was given to me and I re-animated it.

    The problem is I don't have that same garage, and have no choice but to park it on a concrete slab in the back yard, or in the driveway.

    I purchased a tractor cover at sears for $60. While I think it's astonishingly overpriced, it does appear to be a nice cover. It fits the tractor perfectly, including the deck and wheels, and has ventilation ports at the back. It feels like parachute material and is supposed to be water tight.

    Are there any other steps I should take to keep it as new as possible?

    I do wash it with a car wash that has Carnuba Wax built into it. I still use hand wax on the painted panels, but I figure the carnuba will get down into the nooks and crannies and help a bit.

    I wish I had a garage for it but that's where my car goes

    I have a shed in the back, about 10 X 10, but the door is only 30" wide. Not nearly wide enough to fit the tractor in.

    I thought of one of those inexpensive (relatively) plastic sheds, but I've heard they aren't that great.

    I would also like to get some sort of rust inhibitor to add to the wash/rinse water. Like the car washes use. Anyone aware of such material I can buy?

    -Larry

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    20
    Location
    Hills of TN
    Tractor
    CC GT 2544 05

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    I have one of the plastic sheds, works ok if you put it behind a structure to serve as a wind break. You can also silicone the joints where it is put together for a better water seal. Kept my LT in one until I built a 10 x 16 shed. Now just use it for gas grill and lawn and garden tools for wife to use around her flower beds.
    2014 Yanmar 324
    05 CC GT 3184 with 3 point hitch
    05 CC GT 2544 20 HP Kohler
    01 Yard Machines 42" cut Shift on the go 18 HP B & S
    98 Ace 42" cut Shift on the go 14.4 HP B & S

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    109
    Location
    Kalama,WA
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    If you've got the room, one of the 10 x 20 portable vinyl tent like garages from Costco are cheap and will give you plenty of storage for anything. The best way to keep them from blowing over is to go to Lowes or anyone who has the heavy duty spiral dog tie outs. Put one in each corner, tie the portable to it with line or cable and it will last a long time. What the heck, it only costs $168 from Costco vs $400 or so from sellers on the net and it's pinned together so it won't come apart.

    Harris
    Kubota B7510HST, FEL, tooth bar, brush cutter, box blade, portable forks, tiller, boom pole, carry all, homemade 15" bucket mounted dirt scoop.

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    MrJimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,504
    Location
    NorthEast, Florida
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    I really hate to tell you this but, any covering on a painted surface in the wind will wear the paint off the edges, The building is the best way
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

    Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Location
    N.Y.
    Tractor
    cub 1050

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    Please think about shed! Mice haven! They luv nesting under the shrouds!Moth balls may help !But shel sme'll like my grama!HeHE! Even in a good tight shed they would find a way in! GOOOOOD LUCKKKKK!

  6. #6
    Platinum Member Fordlords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    951
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    I bought a 10X12' plastic shed by Rubbermaid last year that is butted up against the back of my garage. I bolted it down to a treated plywood and 2x4 platform that I imbedded into the ground after I removed the sod. The total cost of this job was about $1200, (shed, wood, etc) and I think is is awesome. It's weather tight, it will never wear out or need painting, mice have no interest in knawing on it, and has big double doors and skylights. Don't let the plastic fool you- this thing is STRONG, and it is nice looking. I store the Craftsman tractor and other power items that only get used lightly like the pressure washer and tiller in it. I'll post some pix to my gallery when I get a chance, it was a worthy investment. I'm so fussy I even put nylon dust covers over everything even stored inside LOL!

    -Fordlords-
    Last edited by Fordlords; 09-11-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    1980 Cub Cadet 682 with 18 HP Honda GX V-Twin engine
    2008 Ariens 624 Snowblower
    2007 Craftsman by MTD 4 Cycle Weedwacker




    Check out my TBN photo gallery for B4 and after pix of my CC 682 Restoration! http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...cat/500/page/1

  7. #7
    Bronze Member bermuda_ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    94
    Location
    Brooklyn, WI.
    Tractor
    IH 782 & IH 982

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    If you have to use the "blue tarp roofed shed" put a soft blanket or cloth over the tractor first. Then add your tarp. This will keep the tarp from scratching/rubbing the paint/finish on the tractor....
    Keep your Cub Cadet alive with Genuine Cub Cadet factory parts!!!!
    Cub Cadets owned....CCO(3), Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782 (3), 782D, 982(2)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

    I wish I could put in a shed, but the one's I've found that are small enough to fit where I can put it (about a 7X7) don't have door openings big enough.

    Need 64" or so. Biggest so far has been 60".

    **** 48" deck

    I wish someone made a specialized "Tractor Cubby".

    It would look something like an oversized Dog Carrier, and the top would open up and back, and the front would drop down and act as a ramp. You would open it up, drive the tractor in, get out, and then raise up the back door/ramp, then put the top down and latch.

    The whole thing could be done in a 6ft wide by 7ft long by 3ft high package.

    No need for a carry handle though. Tractor is 1000 pounds wet

    -Larry


    Quote Originally Posted by bermuda_ken
    If you have to use the "blue tarp roofed shed" put a soft blanket or cloth over the tractor first. Then add your tarp. This will keep the tarp from scratching/rubbing the paint/finish on the tractor....

  9. #9

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    How well do these hold up to Snow?

    -Larry

    Quote Originally Posted by hz293
    If you've got the room, one of the 10 x 20 portable vinyl tent like garages from Costco are cheap and will give you plenty of storage for anything. The best way to keep them from blowing over is to go to Lowes or anyone who has the heavy duty spiral dog tie outs. Put one in each corner, tie the portable to it with line or cable and it will last a long time. What the heck, it only costs $168 from Costco vs $400 or so from sellers on the net and it's pinned together so it won't come apart.

    Harris

  10. #10

    Default Re: Covering Tractor Outside

    Ok, this is almost exactly what I was thinking of. Just bigger.

    Lowe's Home

    Sounds to me like there would be a market for such a thing!

    This is almost perfect, but it's a half-foot too narrow

    Lowe's Home

    Or maybe this would do? The price is right!

    Outdoor > Storage Sheds > Portable Sheds > > Jewett Cameron > Lawn Storage Sheds > JEC IS 11399 HP, JECIS11399HP


    -Larry

    Quote Originally Posted by TractorLarry
    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

    I wish I could put in a shed, but the one's I've found that are small enough to fit where I can put it (about a 7X7) don't have door openings big enough.

    Need 64" or so. Biggest so far has been 60".

    **** 48" deck

    I wish someone made a specialized "Tractor Cubby".

    It would look something like an oversized Dog Carrier, and the top would open up and back, and the front would drop down and act as a ramp. You would open it up, drive the tractor in, get out, and then raise up the back door/ramp, then put the top down and latch.

    The whole thing could be done in a 6ft wide by 7ft long by 3ft high package.

    No need for a carry handle though. Tractor is 1000 pounds wet

    -Larry
    Last edited by TractorLarry; 09-11-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.