Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #1  

dweitzel

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7360SS
My 7360ss' glow plug light has not been coming on at all, and I hear no clicking noise when turning the key. It's still quite warm here in south western ohio, so it's still starting (a little slower than normal though).

Can anyone tell me how to check the glow plugs (with a ohm meter hopefullly), where the wires are routed (top/side of engine), and possibly how to test the controller on the firewall?

Any other ideas? I've asked the dealer to help me with a service manual, but I seem to be having problems obtaining one.

I have the part numbers for the plugs and controller from chubby and cyberkrazze. Thanks for those.

Dave

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #2  
Dave, this is from memory, so I might have a small detail wrong...

There are no wires to the glow plugs. Unlike spark plugs, the glow plugs are either all on or all off. So there is a metal bus bar that connects the positive terminals of the four plugs, with a wire at one end going to the controller. You'll need a metric wrench or socket (8mm if I remember correctly) to take the nut off the top of all four plugs and remove the bus bar.

When the plugs go bad, they are an open circuit. So the easiest way to check them is connect the negative lead of the ohmmeter to a good ground on the block and touch the other lead to the top of each plug. I can't remember what range I had the meter on, but if you have an open circuit, the glow plug is bad.

I don't know of any way to check the controller. What I found, and I think other did also, that when the controller goes bad, it takes out all the plugs with it. So I just bought a controller and four plugs.

Last edited:
   / Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions
Bruce, thanks for the reply. I'll trailer the thing home this weekend from its shipping container and try to check it out. That sounds pretty straight forward to check.

Thanks also for the part numbers I have from your previous post.

I REALLY like this tractor. I've dome more work on my farm in the past couple of months with it than the entire previous year. I've pulled 6-8" trees out and cleaned up more brush than I care to imagine.

Like others here, I do not care about re-sale or the like because I plan on keeping this little beast for a LONG time.

Thanks again. - Dave

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #4  
I REALLY like this tractor. I've dome more work on my farm in the past couple of months with it than the entire previous year. I've pulled 6-8" trees out and cleaned up more brush than I care to imagine.

Like others here, I do not care about re-sale or the like because I plan on keeping this little beast for a LONG time.

I'm with you Dave.... a great tractor. Glad I bought it. And have no plans to ever sell it.

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #5  
Yup...I have a 7360SS as well and absolutely love the tractor. When I frist got mine I had the same glow plug problem and the indicator light never came on.

After reading these forums i found a couple of posts referencing the glowplug controller. I replaced this item for under $100 and haven't had a problem since.....I didn't replace any of the glow plugs themselve so you might just try the controller first and see if that fixes it before you buy glow plugs as well.

Here is where you can order the part:

http://wssemw.arinet.com/Empartweb52/scripts/EmpartISAPI52.dll?MF

MA-31A66-05100 Controler, Glow List is $81.39 and I was able to replace this thing in about 2 minutes 15 seconds.

Edit: Ok, that link didn't work, but I got to the page by going through part partstree.com and then going through the diagrams for your model section. If you have any trouble finding it let me know.

I was able to look at the thing today. I tested the glow plugs, all good. I pulled the connector off the controller, and at one point, if I very lightly wiggled and tapped the connector on and off the controller with the key in the glow plug position, I could make the light illuminate. I pulled the controller, cleaned all the contacts, re-assembled the parts, and no luck. Still intermittent.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have possibly 2 intermittent problems. Could the controller AND the temp switch be going bad?

I found the schematic for the electrical on the 7360ss on the cub cadet web site. It has a temp switch in the diagram. Is it possible that when the thing is warm, that the glow light will not come on? I seem to recall that the light ALWAYS came on, even after the engine was run for a long time bush hogging. Can anyone verify this?

I had to put it away for the night. I'll try to get it to act up again and if I can, then I'll remove the connector from the temp switch (it's just to the right of the glow plug closest to the radiator), and ground the connector. I'm pretty sure that the switch works by starting as a dead ground when the tractor is cold, and then open when it warms up.

Any other ideas?

Dave

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #7  
Now that I replaced the controller my glow plug light comes on every time I start it...no matter how warm the tractor is. It is usually for just a couple seconds (if that), but it ALWAYS comes on.

I would try and replace the controller first. I noticed when I got the new one in, it had a new PN from the original in that it looked like it was a revision to the old one. something like a -2 instead of -1 on the original and it made me think that they probably had quite a few issues with these when they were first released and fixed the problem by updating the controller.

At least it seemed that way to me cuz every owner of this model I found on this forum had to change at least the controller and in some instances the glow plugs.

Anyways, as I said, the $80 bucks plus 5 minutes of my time (and I am about as far from a mechanic as you can be) later my glow plugs work perfectly.

Yup, That's the point I'm at. I spent a few more minutes checking the temp switch near the thermostat housing last evening. That was also good. Sooo, looks like the controller.

You know what was weird, I put the controller in the freezer for an hour or so and when I took it back out, it worked everytime for about 15 key cycles????

I checked the partstree.com and the controller is $78, but $10 for shipping? Guess convenience is worth something. I just ordered it from the Cub webiste. $68 for the part, $12.99 for shipping and $5? or so for tax. I'll call it even.

I'll post when I get the part and I replace it. I may even break the old one apart just to see what makes it fail.

Dave

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting the new glow plug relay controller on the firewall replaced. IT WORKS!!!!

Thanks to all. I guess the $80 bugger was the problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think I may tear the old one apart if I get a minute to see what makes it tick.

Thanks to all.

David

/ Cub 7360ss glow plug check instructions #10  
Changed the controller, gp relay , in line fuses , battery cables and fuses in fuse box. Glow plugs were changed last winter. How come I still have no current at either glow plugs or the glow plug fuse. Also current into the relay is good but out,(red and black wire,) is dead. Should also note that glow plug indicator light comes on at dash. Thanks for the help