Alcohol in Gasoliine

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #1  

TractorLarry

Gold Member
As you probably know, many (if not most) gasoline suppliers are now mixing in 10% ethanol in the gas.

This doesn't concern me with my 05 explorer (it's E85 compliant), but I've got real concerns about my lawn/garden equipment.

I've got the tractor, snow blower, pressure washer, weed eaters, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, 6300 watt generator, etc....

Some of this stuff is 10-12 years old, but in like-new condition.

I know they SAY 10% isn't enough to hurt cars, but I've not heard any of them comment on what it will do to our equipment, 2cycle or 4cycle.

Moisture also concerns me. As you know, Alcohol is a magnet for moisture. Are our days of storing with the tank full and treated with Stabil over because of this?

I also keep 20 gallons safely stored at all times (for generator, etc...) in 4 5 gallon cans. Normally I rotate it every 2 years (I use the "Plus" version of B&S fuel stabilizer and it will protect for 2 years - haven't had any issues).

What do you guys think?

Newer equipment seems to indicate in their manuals that a 10% mix is ok, but I'm not sure about older stuff.

-Larry

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #2  
We've had 10% for quite some time. All my equip is 10+ years old (some much more). No probs I can associate with it.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #3  
Larry, I have the same concerns you have regarding gasoline in older engines. I am using John Deere Gasoline Conditioner and Stabilizer part# TY25808 in all the gas a buy for my older garden tractor, generator and other gas engines. The JD guy this should help gasoline with the alcohol mix. I'm not absulutely sure about this but what else can you do???? For all I know this stuff could be just like Stabil...

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #4  
We have had 10% ethanol here since early spring. I have run it in my generators, garden tractor, chain saw, and 10 yr old lawnmower with no problems. I use no additives. DUring the winter months I always use some Stabil in the generator just in case we have a snow storm power outage.

I wouldn't worry about a 10% mixture at all. There are more important things out there to worry about.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #5  
Of course I don't really know how much good it does, but I use Stabil in my gasoline all the time, as recommended by Briggs & Stratton, for the mower gas and also in the two cycle gas for my Stihl string trimmer. As to whether the 10% alcohol could hurt them; it really never even crossed my mind.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine
I use B&S Fuel Stabilizer Plus in everything at the 2 year mix.

Ok, for now it looks like no worries. This is a relatively new thing and I hope it doesn't show up in the future as an issue all of a sudden after we use this gas for a year or so.

-Larry

Bird said:
Of course I don't really know how much good it does, but I use Stabil in my gasoline all the time, as recommended by Briggs & Stratton, for the mower gas and also in the two cycle gas for my Stihl string trimmer. As to whether the 10% alcohol could hurt them; it really never even crossed my mind.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #7  
There is nothing to worry about with 10%. It should actually help keep water OUT of your tank. Similar to HEET on a smaller scale, water bonds to the alcohol and burns up with the gas. There is way more Organic Chem that goes with all this, but the point is still that 10% ethanol is not hurting anything.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #8  
Up here in the frozen North Land we regulary add alcohol to the gas tank to eliminate water freezing problems.

/ Alcohol in Gasoliine #9  
I recently bought a 2003 bass boat with a 40hp Mercury motor and didn't get a manual for the motor until even more recently and notice the manual says they do not recommend gasoline with alcohol, if you must use it, limit to 10% alcohol and add a stabilizer.