Off topic question

/ Off topic question #1  

BiXLL

I see no proper place here to post this question, so I hope maybe one of my Cub buddies can help. I have a 5000 watt generator with a 9 HP B&S Vanguard engine. I moved recently, and the generator has been ignored and not started for well over a year.

I drained all gas, put new plug and fuel filter in, and fresh fuel. It would not even try to fire. I pulled fuel line off at carb and I am getting fuel to the carb. I pulled the air cleaner off and it fired with a shot of starting fluid, and would only stay running if I shot sporadic shots of gas in the air intake opening. It will not stay running on its own. I pulled the carb off, but did not see any jets to remove, or any way for it to come apart except for the bowl. I took bowl off and shot gum out and compressed air through everything I could see that may help. (I know very little about small engines) I put it all back together and still have same situation.

Any ideas?

/ Off topic question #2  
Typical problem with carb engines is the float. Since they went to a rubber coated needle tip (many years ago), they often swell up and stick. Pull out the float needle and replace or at least clean it up (remove gum) and reinstall. This is most often the problem when left to sit for a while. The old all-metal needles never stuck. They only failed to seat and that was easily fixed with a little fine Emory cloth.
charlie

/ Off topic question
Thanks Charlie, I'll give it a try.

/ Off topic question #4  
Yep, you cant leave gasoline in anything long-term anymore. With generators, you have to run them dry for storage. I like to throw fuel stabilizer or lucas in the last bit of fuel that runs through it. I even leave the gas cap loose for a week or two to allow the tank to dry out. Never had a problem with my generators with this process.

Joel

/ Off topic question #5  
Does this eng. have a fuel shut-off solinoid.It could be bad.