Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #1  

micman32

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 221/Cub Cadet XT2
Just wanting to know what you all think so here goes:

Are our shaft drive CC's really that much better than Belt driven models? ( John Deere etc) Basically most newer L&G tractors use Hydro transmissions.
SO the shaft or the belt is really spinning a pump. Would the shaft drive be better on a manual transmission?
Really curious to your opinions.:)

Michael

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #2  
With a belt and manual transmision Its really easy to "slip the cluthch" for some types of work.

It's probably a matter of choice.

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #3  
With shaft drive you have ZERO maintenance and it will last a life time, but then again belts last for years. Belts are cheaper to make in the overall manufacturing process of the machine, but cost $ to replace. I don't think they are a big deal and it is a preference IMHO. I prefer shafts myself, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a dealer deere because of a belt! :D

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #4  
My JD 214 has belt drive and manual transmission. I've read about it being a negative to this machine but its run for the 10 plus years I've owned it with no problems, never have changed the belt. That includes thrashing around with a snow plow, basically using the tractor as a battering ram at times.

I think either is fine for the purpose of a lawn tractor.

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #5  
Without getting into a "belt vs shaft" discussion, my personal preference is for a shaft for the drive and attachments. I wouldnt even consider a belt anymore...

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive
Keep the comments coming! I personally like the shaft myself. I had a Craftsman that the belt was always sliding off the pulleys. I had it fixed several times. I got fed up and got a Cub.:D

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #7  
Depends on if you have hills. Mine are 10-15 degree slopes from the house level to the yard level. The shaft drive works so.......much better on the hills. See attachment picture. The old tractor (yardking) wore out the hydro (peerless) and the belts on the hills. A flat yard and just cutting grass would be OK with the belt drive, but I also use a snow plow and have been known to pull some 1 foot tree posts from the woods to the property. I actually had ordered the belt drive but before delivery got worried and put a hold on it. Thanks to a CUB dealer on the net out in Ohio, he said after looking at the picture "go shaft drive for those hills and what you are doinging with it". The local dealer was unsure how to advise me. It was well worth the extra $$.
charlie in VT
GT2542

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #8  
lost the picture attachment in the post
charlie

Attachments

• 6-1-06 011 (Small).jpg
    6-1-06 011 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 979
   / Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #9  
The transaxle drive belts on old school GT's lasted a long time. We owned our 1970 JD 110 for ~30yrs and I dont think we replaced the trans belt more than 3 times. For a an LT/GT that sees basic lawn duty, a belt drive trans is fine. For us over-the-toppers, we gotta have the shaft! (doesn't sound so good?!)

Joel

/ Shaft Drive vs Belt Drive #10  
vtcress said:
lost the picture attachment in the post
charlie

Great little sleigh or snowboarding hill !! very cool with the rolling hills