2165 hydrostatic prob

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #11  
You say that the manual lists 20W50 motor oil as a substitute for the Hydro oil. I'm a little leery of using motor oil for hydraulic systems. I used HyTran in my old 1450 and the newer synthetic Drive System Plus in my 3235. I've read other posts here about using motor oil but to me it always seemed to have a much different vicosity than hydraulic oil. If all else fails you might want to consider flushing out the motor oil and replacing it with the correct hydraulic oil.
Just my two cents.

Bob B.

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob
Problem solved. I got a CC filter today and put it on. Within a few seconds of the bleed procedure described to me yesterday, everything was back to normal again.

FWIW, the filter I had on there that didn't work was a Purolator Premium Plus L14670. The next time around, I'll give the Wix filter a shot. I've never heard of them, so I'll have to find a dealer around here. $13 for a CC filter seems a little steep to me - although I suppose it could be much worse.

Thanks for all the help!

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #13  
It might be a steep price but look what you spent on time with trouble and the other filter!

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #14  
As the fluid and filters on these hydros don't have to be changed that often, going cheapo is NOT the way to go.

I don't think investing $50 total every 2-3 years (Fluid, filter, and gasket) for the awesome maintainable Cub Cadet hydros is a big deal at all for a unit that will give you everything you ask of it and last you and probably your siblings lifetime if you pass the machine on. Get the good stuff, that being the RIGHT stuff.

-Fordlords-

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #15  
I bought 3 or 4 genuine Cub Cadet transmission filters at Lowes this summer for $5 plus apiece. I thought they were unloading them because they dropped the CC line so I bought all they had. The last time in the store I noticed that they have more in stock.

Bob B.

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #16  
First of all, I realize this thread is several years old but it pertains to my question. I also have a 2165 CC and I need to change the hydro oil. To the author of the thread, have you noticed any adverse effects from running 20w50 oil instead of the CC OE oil? I'm considering doing the same instead of buying the CC oil at $15 per quart. Anyone else that can offer any advice is welcome to chime in also.