2165 hydrostatic prob

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #1  

mdrelyea

I just changed the hydrostatic filter on my 2165. When I changed the filter, I also changed the hydrostatic oil (I didn't have a clean container large enough to hold all 7 qts of the old oil, so I opted not to keep it). I got the tractor at an auction a few years back and it didn't come with a manual. A friend of mine also has a 2165, so I made a copy of his manual. It calls for "Cub Cadet Drive System Oil" part number 737-3055 or specifies a 20W50 oil that meets API service class SG/CD. The auto parts store is closer than the Cub Cadet dealer, and the oil was cheaper there so I bought 2 gallons of the oil at the auto parts store and a replacement Puralolator filter from TSC(cross referenced in the book at TSC).

Now that I've changed them, I seem to have air in the system. When I first ran the tractor and engaged the transmission, it was very noisy and hesitated to move the tractor. I checked the oil level and found that the oil had a lot of air bubbles in it. I figured I would be able to let the air work its way out of the system, so I let the oil in the reservoir clear up over the next few days and then ran it again. Same thing - air bubbles in the reservoir and a noisy transmission that hesitated to move the tractor. I repeated this process 3 or 4 times with no real change. This weekend, I needed to move the log splitter, so I got the tractor out. I could barely even back it up to the splitter. The transmission just would not engage and drive the tractor. I would push the pedal all the way down and nothing happened. The tractor just sat there. I couldn't hear any noises from the transmission at all. Finally after a few minutes of frustration, I got back on and held the pedal down to go forward. After about 30 seconds of just holding the pedal down, the transmission engaged and the tractor moved. I managed to get the log splitter hooked up and towed it to the back yard where I needed it. Unhooked the splitter and tried to drive away. Nothing doing. I could not get the transmission to engage. I ended up disengaging the transmission and pushing the tractor back to it's home in the garage.

Help! Is there an air bleed on the transmission I should use? The manual didn't say anything about bleeding the system in the transmission filter change instructions. Did I use the wrong oil and/or filter?

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #2  
A typical air-bleed procedure for a hydrostatic drive is to open the bypass (pull the free-wheel mode lever), start the tractor and cycle the F and R pedals a few times. This is supposed to work out the air. The only other thing I can think of is the filter? Maybe that filter is blocking flow somehow? I know you have to be real careful not to knock any crud into the hydo when pulling the filter or dipstick. Stuff can get in there real easy. That's a 3rd possibilty. Foreign material in there.

Joel

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob
Thanks JTKub,

I just tried the bleed procedure you suggested. I ran the tractor for about 5 minutes with the transmission disengaged and kept cycling back and forth between forward and reverse. The pump engaged once for about 5 seconds or so while I was in forward, until I switched back to reverse - then it was gone again. At the end of the 5 minutes, I still can't drive the tractor. The oil in the reservoir is bubbly again though. Do I go for another 5-10 minutes, or does that risk damaging the pump?

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #4  
I'd think the bypass bleed should do it's thing in a matter of seconds. This is puzzling!?! If my memory serves me correct, there was an owner that had a similar issue that was fixed by trying a different hydro filter. He had an off brand on there, threw on an OEM and all was well. Dunno why, but it worked.

Joel

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #5  
GO GET A CUB FILTER.

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #6  
I use a Carquest # 85410 (wix) filter for the trans on my 2544. It is a HD hydraulic filter. It's been in there for ~60hrs without issue. Thing is- it's just as expensive as a dealer filter. Is it any better? I have no idea.

Joel

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #7  
That the bleed down procedure has been done, I would also start diagnosing this problem by by purchasing and installing a Cub filter. It just sounds like the fluid isn't getting past the filter that is on there, and it's just getting whipped into bubbles by the pump.
-Fordlords-

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #8  
I thought I saw another thread here that said that some filters that appear to be direct replacements for the OEM ones have internal check valves that will defeat the hydro. Definitely install a CC filter.

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob
It's on my to-do list for today. I'll report back here with my results.

/ 2165 hydrostatic prob #10  
Here are the specs on the carquest/wix that I am running: Part Detail

Note: no bypass. Even if a filter were to bypass, you'd never know it.

G/luck
Joel