WOW!! What a difference

/ WOW!! What a difference #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I bought a 585 hr 2165 last spring from a local person who bought it new in '98.
It's real clean, only needed a few maintenance items like tires and deck wheels. Not knowing when the hydro fluid was changed I went ahead and bought fluid and a filter. I thought 600 hrs would be easy to remember as a time to change, so I waited until the clock rolled over on 600 hrs. I changed it a couple of weeks ago and it has set in the garage until I needed to mulch some leaves. I could not believe how much the new fluid changed the characteristics of the foot valve. With the old fluid the tractor would continue to creep forward when I removed my foot from the pedal and reverse seemed to have a hard spot to pass before the tractor would back up. With the new oil it works SOOOO smooth. Why didn't I do this a long time ago? I think I put about $70 in the fluid and filter, but boy! is it worth it.

/ WOW!! What a difference #2  
geneP said:
I bought a 585 hr 2165 last spring from a local person who bought it new in '98.
It's real clean, only needed a few maintenance items like tires and deck wheels. Not knowing when the hydro fluid was changed I went ahead and bought fluid and a filter. I thought 600 hrs would be easy to remember as a time to change, so I waited until the clock rolled over on 600 hrs. I changed it a couple of weeks ago and it has set in the garage until I needed to mulch some leaves. I could not believe how much the new fluid changed the characteristics of the foot valve. With the old fluid the tractor would continue to creep forward when I removed my foot from the pedal and reverse seemed to have a hard spot to pass before the tractor would back up. With the new oil it works SOOOO smooth. Why didn't I do this a long time ago? I think I put about $70 in the fluid and filter, but boy! is it worth it.
Do you have any attachments for it?

/ WOW!! What a difference
Just the mower deck.

/ WOW!! What a difference #4  
If it made such a big difference, you may want to consider changing just the filter again in about 50 hours since there seemed to be alot of contamination in the hydro unit. New fluid should not be needed, but check the condition of fluid when ready to change filter to make sure.

/ WOW!! What a difference #5  
Evening geneP.
Yup,just the little things can make big difference...regular pming will save $$'s down the road.

/ WOW!! What a difference
When I bought the fluid I was concerned that I was sold the wrong type because the part number has changed since my manual was printed. Bermuda Ken confirmed I had the correct fluid, the synthetic blend.

I'm now wondering if it had the incorrect fluid in it when I bought it. The person I bought it from was meticulous about his maintenance so I feel like it had been changed at least once although I didn't ask him. Looks are sometimes decieving, but the old fluid didn't look dirty.