cold start

/ cold start #1  

ice

I pulled my cub out the other day to start it and charge the battery a little. It has been stored in a yard barn for a couple of months and has not been started.
It started ok but, the oil light blinked for a few minutes till the engine began to warm then the light went off.

Question: Is it normal for the oil light to blink with a cold engine and oil?.

/ cold start #2  
You left the model of your Cub a mystery. Perhaps if we know your model #, someone may have experienced the same thing and can help you. My GT2542 has never done that. Hey, you live in the southeast, how cold can your engine get down there? :D

/ cold start #3  
Two questions - how cold was it, and what oil is in the tractor?

/ cold start #4  
Question: Is it normal for the oil light to blink with a cold engine and oil?.
No. Especially not for a couple of minutes.

/ cold start
I have 15w-40 Shell Rotella T in a 22 hp kawasiki engine. I think it has an STP oil filter on it.
Tempature wise, when I ran it we had been in the high twenties and low thirties at night and the fifties in daytime.

Hey Double 00 Soul, I can remember a few years back the temp. dropped to 22f below and snow drifts were almost to the top of fence post in some places. Actually the themometer at my house read 24 below. Truth.

Just in case that happenes again, I have some good cold weather clothes and + wide Steger Mukluks.

/ cold start #6  
ice said:
I have 15w-40 Shell Rotella T in a 22 hp kawasiki engine. I think it has an STP oil filter on it.
Tempature wise, when I ran it we had been in the high twenties and low thirties at night and the fifties in daytime.

Hey Double 00 Soul, I can remember a few years back the temp. dropped to 22f below and snow drifts were almost to the top of fence post in some places. Actually the themometer at my house read 24 below. Truth.

Just in case that happenes again, I have some good cold weather clothes and + wide Steger Mukluks.

OK, I stand corrected. That's cold enough to make a person think they live in Minnesota! It's about 0 right now where I live which is about normal for this time of year. I think if I were in your situation, I'd be tempted to run synthetic 10W-30. That would cover your temperature range and still allow good oil flow at start-up. It would also be interesting to see if the 10W-30 had any effect on your oil light, 15W-40 is some heavy stuff. I'm running syn. 5W-30 right now in my GT2542 because I use it for snowblowing.

By the way, do you wash your machine off with a water hose? My owner's manual cautions against using a water hose for clean-up. If you do, that might explain some of the business with the oil light. When I washed mine off with a water hose once, it made the dash lights go bonkers until things dried out. I use a leaf blower or air hose for clean-up now.

/ cold start #7  
My manual says 10W30 for 30 degree and over temp range and 5W30 for colder. I'm guessing yours would be the same recommendation. From the temps you mentioned I think you'd be OK with the 10W30 but based on the oil light I'd consider 5W30. I don't think running the 15W40 in cold weather is a great idea, and your oil light is telling you not to.

/ cold start #8  
I would have to agree. 15w40 just doesn't sound right for that cold of temperatures.

Only your manual knows for sure :)

-Larry

Dave01 said:
My manual says 10W30 for 30 degree and over temp range and 5W30 for colder. I'm guessing yours would be the same recommendation. From the temps you mentioned I think you'd be OK with the 10W30 but based on the oil light I'd consider 5W30. I don't think running the 15W40 in cold weather is a great idea, and your oil light is telling you not to.

/ cold start
I appreciate all the advice.
I think you guys are right on the money concerning the oil viscosity.
I knew better. Guess I just wasn`t thinking.
From now on i`ll use 5w-20 or 5w-30 in the off season. I guess 5w-20 would be best for the coldest months.

/ cold start #10  
Rotella T 15W40 is a specialty oil intended mainly for use in large diesel truck and tractor engines. Most small engine manuals I look at recommend multi-viscosity standard 10w-30 or 10w-40 for year round use. I'm guessing the 15w40 was having trouble getting up to pressure in the tiny oil pump and oil passages that your small air cooled engine contains.

-Fordlords-