Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I'm posting this in the Yard and Garden and Cub Cadet forums hoping someone out there is familiar with my problem. It started today as I was mowing the lawn trying to die when I turned right. straight ahead or turn left was ok. I finished the grass and took the side panels off to see if anything was rubbing the wiring or pinching the fuel supply. I moved a few wires around looking for loose connections, etc, but found nothing. I left the panels off and was going to run it around the yard to see if anyhting had changed. It would start and run about 2 seconds at high speed settings, and about 4 seconds at low speed settings. I thought it wasn't getting fuel, but the thing starts repeatedly after it dies. I put a screwdriver on a plug wire and it is firing while the engine decelerates after it quits running. It's a 16 HP VAnguard in a Cub Cadet 2165

Any ideas on what to look at would really be appreciated

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #2  
It definitely sounds like a fuel problem. I assume the tank has plenty of gas. CHeck the inside of the tank with a flashlight to see if there is any dirt, grass etc. in the tank that might be blocking the fuel flow. The gas is probably seeping into the carb slowly so it's starved for fuel and dies but the carburetor fills again before you try to restart it and it starts OK. This could also be a carb problem like a stuck float, damaged or swelled needle valve, dirt etc. If nothing is found with the tank you may have to take the bowl off the carburetor and check the float. Do you have a shutoff valve below the tank? Make sure it is opened all the way.

Bob B.

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #3  
Make sure gas cap is vented; try running it with gas cap off. More likely a fuel pump problem or a filter problem. Pumps are known to go bad.

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #4  
It could have a piece of garbage on the needle of the fuel shut off solenoid. That would block it from getting fuel as it won't allow the carb to get a full bowl of fuel to run from. It's allowing a trickle of gas to flow thru and that's why it will only run a few seconds. At least that's what happened to my 2165. Cleaned mine out the first time, but later replaced it with a new one. When I removed it I cleaned out the whole carb with carb cleaner. This might not be your problem but something to check out anyways. Hope it helps.

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #5  
I have a 2186 with an 18 HP Vanguard I bought new the spring of 2006. Tractor and motor worked fine for two months then a similar problem occurred for me. In my case the motor would not start at all. It turned out to be the fuel pump....dealer replaced it on warranty. It's been a great machine other than this minor problem.

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem
Thank you all for your replys.

I was suspect of the pump, too. The thing that I don't understand is how it continues to start and run for a few seconds repeatedly. I put my finger over the inlet side of the pump while it was runnning and could feel no suction. I have a vacuum guage I'm going to put on it this afternoon.

I understand the pump runs off pulses from the crankcase pressure. I wonder if those pulses are stronger while the motor is under load, such as with the deck engaged? Toward the end of cutting the grass the engine was getting rough, but still cutting grass, making me think if the pump is weak/bad the loaded pulses were strong enough to keep it running.

I'm going to check for blocked lines. If I go further than the fuel pump depends on if I can get an idea of how much vacuum the pump should pull cranking or running.

Keep you ideas and experiences coming, they are much appreciated.

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem
OK, I'm confident I found the problem. I took the gas line off the carb and it was pumping gas, I dribbled fuel in the top of the carb and the engine continued to run. I checked the voltage at the fuel solenoid connection and had none except while in the start position. I ran a hot wire to the solenoid and it continued to run. I removed the wiring connector from the ignition switch and replaced it a couple of times and the voltage stayed constant at the solenoid connector and the engine ran fine.

It must have been a dirty connection on the blades of the switch, or maybe the switch is going bad. If so, It'll show up in time.

I know the symptoms of this one would throw us off. Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

Gene

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #8  
Glad you found the problem :) I did not post a response as this one had me stumped too. I was told long ago to always suspect electrical problems first when something is acting up, and that the problem was continuously repetitive I kind of suspected that. A very strange problem to remember for the books!

-Fordlords-

/ Vanguard in Cub Cadet problem #9  
Check the fuel cap and see if some critters have taken up home in the vent hole over the winter.

You can test this by just loosening or removing the cap temporarily.

-Larry

geneP said:
I'm posting this in the Yard and Garden and Cub Cadet forums hoping someone out there is familiar with my problem. It started today as I was mowing the lawn trying to die when I turned right. straight ahead or turn left was ok. I finished the grass and took the side panels off to see if anything was rubbing the wiring or pinching the fuel supply. I moved a few wires around looking for loose connections, etc, but found nothing. I left the panels off and was going to run it around the yard to see if anyhting had changed. It would start and run about 2 seconds at high speed settings, and about 4 seconds at low speed settings. I thought it wasn't getting fuel, but the thing starts repeatedly after it dies. I put a screwdriver on a plug wire and it is firing while the engine decelerates after it quits running. It's a 16 HP VAnguard in a Cub Cadet 2165

Any ideas on what to look at would really be appreciated